A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Valeo Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valeo Headlights

I was looking at PG Performance and their one peice Valeo headlight. I have the old '99 model headlights currently (not the projectors on 99.5 models) and I was wondering if these Valeo headlights are ACTUALLY brighter or just for looks? I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on the actually performance of these headlights just a bunch of talk on trimming and fitment. So if you have the Valeo headlight set please let me know how you like them. Oh, and one more thing...It says on autobahn.com that these Valeo headlight can take either H7 bulbs or Xenon bulbs. My question is will the housing withstand the heat from the Xenons? And do they even make Xenon bulbs for the H7s? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2000, 01:58 AM

Default yes they do i have them in my car H7, but someone said they didnt fit in the projector housing

it depends on the brand you use.... i recently did a group buy for Hiper brand bulbs, looks like the 55W bulbs fit but the 80w ones are a little fatter and someone claimed it didn't fit it the projector housing.
Old 10-19-2000, 02:16 AM

I claimed they don't fit =), just go with 55W for projector, 80W for the rest
Old 10-19-2000, 03:03 AM

dude did you buy them from me? i'm really sorry if you did......
Old 10-19-2000, 04:28 AM

Default The projector upgrade is definately worthwhile.

I have had the Valeos for 4 months now, and highly recommend the upgrade.
I noticed yesterday that P. G. Performance has a 20% off sale on all their light upgrades for the A4, incl. Euro spec projectors. These are supposed to be an even greater improvement than the Valeos, but I have not seen them myself. It may be worth the extra cost over the Valeos. And the install is not an overly complicated job if you are reasonably handy with a cutting wheel and a test light.
Old 10-19-2000, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the 411

First, projectors, in general, cast better light patterns than the older standard lights. BUT, the real gain with the one's from PG Performance are that they are European Spec'd (E-code). Europe allows for a very different light dispersion than the DOT in the US allows on U.S. spec'd headlights. In a nutshell, the Euros are brighter and have a very sharp cutoff to prevent blinding oncoming traffic - so you will see more of the road directly in front of you but actually may see less of the road 50+' ahead. IMO, it is a huge upgrade and will only take you several days to get used to the cutoff.

Bulbs - H7 is the size. These are one of the newest sizes available in halogen bulbs. They incorporate much of the latest technology as far as generating maximum output for their wattage. This is one reason why many aftermarket companies have not yet released a bulb in the H7 size (i.e., they are good in oem form!). However, there are several manufacturers that have released aftermaket upgrades in an H7 size. The 'upgrade' is generally accomplished by adding some xenon gas into the halogen bulb to allow the filiment to burn at a higher temperature and generate a whiter light. In addition, many tint or coat the bulb blue to filter out the yellow light to give the light a whiter look. I've attached a link to a post I wrote several weeks ago which has more on bulbs.

I have the Valeo E-codes with 55w Hell Optilux bulbs - they rock!

Hope this helps,
Chris<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/312469.phtml">https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/312469.phtml</a</li></ul>