A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

valet key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valet key won't turn

Today I tested out my valet key and found that it doesn't work. It does not mechanically turn in either the ignition switch or the driver's side door lock. Yes, I jiggled it

Both of my regular keys work.

All three keys are original, and the car has original switches in it. At least I think it does -- it's been a long 10 years but I don't think I ever had to swap out the ignition switch or anything like that.

I noticed that the cut on the valet key looks different than the cut on the regular keys, but I assume that's OK and done on purpose so the car knows it's the valet key.

Any suggestions, short of taking it to a dealer? I did search the forum first ...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One last bump before I give up.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Campbell
One last bump before I give up.
Not sure why you are so concerned about this, most people never use their valet key.

If your car is in the US there is no immobilizer, so you can get another key cut anywhere very cheaply. Since it won't work in the ignition or lock it must be the key.

You don't need the dealer and trying to ask them to warranty /fix a potentially 9 year old problem seems kind of pointless.

You can also order the valet key from Audi using the VIN #.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks AudiMick!

The only reason I'm suddenly interested in the valet key is because I need it to do the remote key reprogramming.

I found recently that the second key's remote functions don't work. Not surprising, as it's been locked in my safe for 10 years, and I only brought it out last week when I lost my first key (since found). So I did some digging to find out how to reprogram the key (manual does NOT tell you how) and the best procedure* involves A) using the valet key in the ignition while you B) use the regular keys in the door and do various button presses to reprogram the keys.

I'm aware that the battery might just be dead, but I want to be careful not to screw my situation up even worse such that I have NO remote key. Also, it's kind of hard to believe that the battery in the second key is dead when it hasn't been used at all, the first key is fine on the original battery (and a decade of daily use).

Aaaaanyway, it didn't make much sense that the valet key would stop working mechanically.

Thanks again!

* http://www.audittcca.com/help/faq/ho...remote-control
Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Campbell
Thanks AudiMick!

The only reason I'm suddenly interested in the valet key is because I need it to do the remote key reprogramming.

I found recently that the second key's remote functions don't work. Not surprising, as it's been locked in my safe for 10 years, and I only brought it out last week when I lost my first key (since found). So I did some digging to find out how to reprogram the key (manual does NOT tell you how) and the best procedure* involves A) using the valet key in the ignition while you B) use the regular keys in the door and do various button presses to reprogram the keys.

I'm aware that the battery might just be dead, but I want to be careful not to screw my situation up even worse such that I have NO remote key. Also, it's kind of hard to believe that the battery in the second key is dead when it hasn't been used at all, the first key is fine on the original battery (and a decade of daily use).

Aaaaanyway, it didn't make much sense that the valet key would stop working mechanically.

Thanks again!

* http://www.audittcca.com/help/faq/ho...remote-control
Your switchblade key is actually two pieces. On the back where the Audi logo is a notch. If you put a screwdriver in there you can pry it open.

Only the remote has battery power, the key has no battery power just an RFID chip but that is not functional on a 2000.

So you can use that key as your valet key while holding and programming your remote.