A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Vibrating Engine on Startup this morning...(please read, sorta long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-1999, 09:03 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Might try an occasional "Techron" gas treatment

I have a 30V; have heard these multi-valve Audi engines can quicly build up unburned carbon/deposit in intake and combustion chamber during cold starts, esp. with several engine start/stops when cold. I have been adding a bottle of Chevron "Techron" gas cleaner to the tank every 3 months or so. No problems yet.<p>Got turned on to it several years ago when Porsche publicattions recommended it as being a good fuel injector cleaner that does not contain alcohol.
Old 05-04-1999, 09:18 AM
James R.

Default Actually now that you mention it....(more)

The last time the car was ran was the day earlier, I basically started the car ran to the end of the street 200 ft and pulled into my driveway and then shut it down. The car had to have been running no more than 1.5 mins tops. I wonder if that's what could have caused it. I've been good about running it for at least 7 or 8 mins before shutting down...I guess this could have caused the problem?<p>Thanks I'm starting to feel better now...and my car started perfectly this morning.
Old 05-04-1999, 09:37 AM
Chris K

Default Been there done that..(more)

yup.. just as others have experience this same problem so have I when I washed my car last week. Turned car on then shut off within 30 seconds.. Did that twice and after a few hours when I tried to start the car back up, the car shook violently with the check engine light blinking. The car stopped shaking but the check engine light remained on. Next day the light was on, but when I brought my car in for service they replaced my spark plugs because my spark plugs were fouled. However, two days ago my check engine light went back on while I was driving and then shut itself off the next day. Wondering if I should even worry about it becuase it's not the same as the problem I had before... just hte light coming on and then shutting off a day earlier.. hmm..<p>Chris K<br>98.5 1.8TQTS<p>Chris K
Old 05-04-1999, 01:01 PM
Peter

Default Re: Vibrating Engine on Startup this morning...(please read, sorta long)

The dealer didn't have much to say. The computer indicated that cylinder 1 had a random misfire, but not much else. It seems from the other posts that this is just one of those things. Nothing to worry about, but still a little annoying. I'd rather have a rocky start once in a while than alot of other problems I can think of.....