A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Want to add a sub/amp to my system. A few questions for those more knowledgeble.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 08:36 AM
GaryJ

Default Want to add a sub/amp to my system. A few questions for those more knowledgeble.

Several months ago (with much help from those on this board - thanks again) I installed a 75x4 watt amp (Sony), new front speakers (MB Quart 5 1/4 inch Referenz Premium) and new rear speakers (MB Quart 6 1/2 inch Referenz Coaxials) utilizing the line-outs on the factory Blaupunkt head unit. I really love the sound and it is a huge improvement over the stock system. I didn't think I would do anything else, but I'm beginning to want a bit more low end (ie, it's time to add a sub).

Can anyone make a suggestion as to an amp/sub combo that would match well with this system? I've done some research and like what people have to say about Kicker solo-baric subs (because of the smaller box needed: space is a premium) but have no experience with these.

Also, how do I hook up the new amp? I have no idea. I'm not afraid to do it myself, but need some guidence in this area.

All opinions (good and bad) are welcome. Thanks all.
Old 01-24-2000, 08:55 AM
Mark P

Default I have solobarics.

But there not in my A4, they're sitting in boxes. I took them out of another car and maybe someday will end up in my A4. They were/are awesome. When you're checking prices, check www.tms-electronics.com The shop is local to me, but they ship everywhere. It's really hard to beat his prices. It's a one man operation that's been in business for years (10+). He just has a small showroom - no installations (overhead), so he can keep his prices down and sell a butt-load, and he does. I've also handled returns and repairs through him without a problem. If you call him, tell him Mark Pogers referred you. I won't get anything out of it other than a bigger smile the next time I'm there. If you think I'm in on something, don't mention my name and just enjoy his service - you'll be pleased.

On his website, and catalog, it's pretty much all text, so you have to know what you're looking for.

As for adding an amp, you may have to upgrad the current wire that you have powering your other amp, then put a distribution block that will splice power between the two amps. It really matters how big of a sub you get, which helps decide how powerful of an amp which will determine how much current you are drawing to determine what guage wire to use. Your signal RCA's (line-outs) can just be split before the amps, as well as your "remote turn on" lead.

I just checked his site, and:

Kicker Solobaric 8d $155/ea (8", 300 watts)
Kicker Solobaric 10d $210/ea (10", 450 watts)
Kicker Solobaric 12d $245/ea (12", 600 watts)
Kicker Solobaric 15d $280/ea (15", 750 watts)

He also sells a variety of sub boxes

Mark P<ul><li><a href="http://www.tms-electronics.com/">http://www.tms-electronics.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-24-2000, 09:06 AM
larryV

Default Re: Want to add a sub/amp to my system. A few questions for those more knowledgeble.

I'm going through subwoofer issues right now. Right now, I have a JL 10W3 powered by an Xtant 121m. It sounds great but I'm really **** about sound so I'm getting rid of that. I'm currently waiting for a custom enclosure to be made for a Boston Acoustics 10.5LF sub. It should work out better for me. The Boston sub is supposedly tighter, more accurate, and produces flatter response. The JL 10W3 although loved my many because it produced a fuller bass sounds, was sloppy and very boomy. It works out great for me too because the Boston sub will require half the enclosure size my current JL 10W3 will -- about .5 cuft. Now that's small for a sealed enclosure. You may want to consider this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Larry
99.5 1.8Tqts APR K&N
Old 01-24-2000, 09:54 AM
Adam

Default Good luck with the Boston!

Let me know how it turns out!
Old 01-24-2000, 09:58 AM
Adam

Default Adding to your system.

A new amp is easy to hook up. You will have to split the power, preferrably through a power distribution center, or run another lead to the battery. You will have to attach another remote on lead to it as well as splitting the RCA signal. Try and mount the amp to a wooden board, it will lessen the chance of motor noise. Solo-barics are extremely power hungry, so go with a BIG amp to give you good linearity. Best of luck.
Old 01-24-2000, 11:12 AM
GaryJ

What size is the Boston sub? How much power will run you to it? What's the rest of you system?
Old 01-24-2000, 11:19 AM
GaryJ

Default That's funny. I already have his site bookmarked.

Somewhere here recommended it a while back when I was buying my system (Could have been you). I ended up getting stuff from elsewhere at slightly lower prices, but will probably buy from him now that I've heard a "glowing recommendation". And if I do buy, I will definately mention your name. I know small businessmen appreciate the word of mouth advertising.

A couple of follow ups. What are you running in your car? Also, when I installed my first amp somewhere here on the board (man I love this site) recommended I use 4 gauge power/ground wires in case I wanted to add a second amp and sub later (Glad I listened). The turn-on lead is quite small (I'm not sure what guage, I'll have to check). I'm guessing it doesn't need much? Also, with the RCA's, all I need to do is get some sort of Y adaptor? Sounds pretty easy, am I missing anything?
Old 01-24-2000, 11:25 AM
GaryJ

Default A follow up if I may.

You recommend a big amp. How big is big? My 75x4 gives me all the "loudness" I need, I just need a sub to compliment the highs. I only want to use one sub (space constraints). Would you recommend an 8, 10, 12? About how much power would each need?

Could you define "big linearity"

Thanks for the response,
Gary

BTW, what do you have in your car?
Old 01-24-2000, 11:43 AM
Adam

Default Big power

By big power, I mean something that would put out 300w+ into a single (mono) channel. So for Solobarics about 300 per sub. I did have a hotrodded ADS amp 85w x8. I was too unstable though. I have a Soundstream 5ch collecting dust at the moment. When I get time I might put it in.
Old 01-24-2000, 12:07 PM
larryV

Default Re: What size is the Boston sub? How much power will run you to it? What's the rest of you system?

The Boston 10.5LF is a 10" sub. I will be running my Xtant 121m at 2 ohms with the 2 ohm version of the sub --> 250watts. Currently, I'm at 4 ohms with my JL 10W3. I'm going for low impedance because the Boston sub is vry power-hungry and will be in a much smaller enclosure. The rest of my system is stock. The stock speakers sound good enough for now that I can't justify the time and money for replacing them and adding a 4-channel amp. Not as bright as I would like them to be to compliment the sub but definitely adequate.

Larry
99.5 1.8Tqts APR K&N

Quick Reply: Want to add a sub/amp to my system. A few questions for those more knowledgeble.