A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

WARNING! Airbag deployed while driving on freeway and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will contact them. Do they have a website, or do I need to find a regional office to file?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it happens, just know that you were safely holding the wheel when it happened.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Elder Member

that shouldnt just "happen" dude
Old 03-22-2005, 04:35 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Do a google search for their website.

You can file a claim online. It's pretty painless, but David is right...just because you file a claim doesn't mean anything will come of it. If you want to follow up on the matter, that might require some phone calls. Hopefully you'll also find that on the NHTSA website.

Also consider doing a google search on the issue (among all car manufacturers), just to see what sort of information or help is available out there. I'm sure these accidental airbag deployments aren't restricted to Audi alone. Maybe you'll find some ideas on channels and techniques to employ to get a little more "attention" from Audi.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default happens all the time, airbag sensors are cheap pieces of electronics.

in fact i've heard audis only going off when they drive up into their garage at like 2mph or less, **** i hit a stone wall at >1mph and it didn't go off. the side impact ones have a higher tendency.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you RKA. The NHTSA has a comprehensive website!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd, an airbag randomly going off could cause an accident

quite easily at that. I'd be pretty freaked and probably run off the road.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Does not make sense mechanically tho... but I am not an engineer [more]

I thought that it would require impact to set off the airbag. So what happens would be that the electronics develop a mind of its own? That is about as scary as the ejection seat going off by itself on a fighter jet.

And like that ck1.8t:Thnk Snow points out, if the driver side blows out instead, that may very well lead to an accident.

Anyhow, there is no excuse for a failure like this, someone's gotta be held accountable.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, thankfully you weren't driving.

I think you should make your passengers sign a waiver..."Warning, this driver is susceptible to freaking out under stressful conditions. I enter this vehicle at my own risk."
Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Default If you want a more solid case in court....

You will need to have more documentation than just pictures of your friends injury. You need to have him go to the doctor or hospital and get a physicians report on his injury and cause. You should of had a police report as well if not already. You also are supposed to contact your insurance company and tell them that there was a vehicle malfunction and there was injury. That one is up to you, but the insurance has the means to go after Audi of America much easier than you do. You will not be responsible for a deductible amount if the responsible party is the vehicle manufacturer. You may however be expected to pay the deductible amount if filing a claim, yet if it is ruled against AofA, they will pay that and more. If it were me, and I have been through a simillar situation, I would do all that AND hire my own personal injury attorney. He/she will work in conjunction with the insurance lawyers and Aof A will be begging to settle out of court if it is ruled a manufacturer defect.
J

Quick Reply: WARNING! Airbag deployed while driving on freeway and...