A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Warped Rotor@15 k miles - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-1998, 03:05 AM
Grizz

Default Warped Rotor@15 k miles - anyone else?

Hi,<br>just had my brakes checked the other day at a<br>non-audi-dealer because of typical brake-pad smell and a disgusting sound. The left rear rotor was totally damaged, of course the brake pad too.<br>All other wheels are fine. Anyone else with the<br>same problem? Do you think this should be covered<br>by warranty (I'll take the car to the dealer tonight)...<br>TIA, Griz<br>
Old 12-29-1998, 06:46 AM
vik

Default Do you race/autocross it? (more)

If you do, there's usually evidence of it -- excessively worn clutch or brake pads, maybe even rev info on the computer (the Jetta GLX computer tells the service guys if you've redlined the car *shudder*). If the Audi service guys see this, they may fuss about fixing it under warranty.<p>But if only one rotor has gone, this is probably not the case. In that case, it will be a warranty fix. AFAIK, only brake pads and tires are uncovered for the first 3/30.
Old 12-29-1998, 07:44 AM
Steve S.

Default Too much time on the Autobahn!!!

I had a conversation with my audi technician some months back and he said<br>the A4 front rotors frequently only last 15-20K miles. This sounds like a normal<br>thing and you should have it covered under warranty. However, if I remember<br>correctly you might be in Germany...and how your warranty works may not be<br>the same as in the states. Good luck. I have already replaced my front rotors<br>with Brembo ones. However, my original ones were not warped at 23-24K<br>miles when I changed them. AND, I have done 5 autocross events and three<br>driving schools (4 days total) this last year.<p>It must be those quick decelerations from 240 kph to 0 kph on the autobahn<br>that got you :-)<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 12-30-1998, 04:58 AM
chckr

Default Re: Warped Rotor@15 k miles - anyone else?

I had problems with one of my old Honda's brake rotors warping every 15K miles while the others were fine. The stock response was "Honda rotors just aren't that good." Well, after turning and replacing them a few times, rebuilding the wheel cylinder, etc, one shop found that the brake line to the trouble wheel was slightly kinked and supposedly was not letting the pressure off soon enough. Anyway, they talked me into replacing the brake line (a couple hundred dollars) and that fixed the problem, I never had another warped rotor in over 60K miles!