A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Warranty Voids Due to Chip Detection (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-1999, 05:07 AM
falcon

Default Warranty Voids Due to Chip Detection (Long)

OK, I've seen a lot of discussions about how dealers COULD void warranties and MIGHT void warranties if they detect a chip. But, I haven't read one story (in the 3 weeks I've been on this forum) where anyone has actually had their warranty voided because of using a chip. (Yes, I've gone back a few weeks into the archives, too.)<p>For those with voided warranties:<p>1. I'd like to hear details, like how they actually detected the chip, or if you TOLD them you had it. <p>2. I'd like to know if the warranty work you requested was in any way related to the chip (i.e., if the chip caused the warrantied part to be damaged or fail). <p>3. Finally, I'd like to know if anybody out there ever fought a dealer (legally) because the dealer would not perform warranty work (either related or unrelated to the chip) due to a chip detection. <p>I'm ready to get chipped from AutoThority soon, and would appreciate any comments. Anyone??
Old 02-20-1999, 05:53 AM
GlennB

Default Re: Warranty Voids Due to Chip Detection

Let us know it you go with the AutoThority chip. It has been getting press on the forum since the Car & Driver article, and it seems to be worth strong consideration. I would like to hear from someone who actually puts it in an A4.<p>'99 QMS Melange
Old 02-20-1999, 07:38 AM
Insider

Default Re: Warranty Voids Due to Chip Detection (Long)

I have 1st hand knowledge of 2 instances where a warranty was voided do to major modifications done to the car.<br>1st was recently when a 97A41.8TQ destroyed a 5 speed manual trans.<br>The OTS voided his warranty ,his liability was 10,811.00 for a new trans plus labor and tax.<br>This particular car was modified to the hilt .<br>Audi is pretty good about the warranty if u chip your car and have sunroof problems they probably won`t say a word. But if you add an aftermarket alarm then complain about the battery goes dead you may be in for a unhappy dealer visit.<br>That`s just a quick example but hopefully you get the idea.<br>As for suing a dealer your not . AoA is the final word ,if a dealer refuses to honor any part of your warranty it is at AoA`s instructions. AoA has a large and talanted legal staff in house.They get sued constantly usually for wrongful death and injury, your little warranty suit will not bother them at all, you can sue them,they will get around to fighting you when they get to it, meanwhile your out in the cold.
Old 02-20-1999, 08:18 AM
Mike S.

Default It's all hypothetical!!

I'm with Falcon. I've heard the warranty can be voided, but I've never heard of any instances. I'm buying a chip too and also would like to know if anyone has ever had any problems. Anybody??
Old 02-20-1999, 08:50 AM
Josh

Audi will get around to your suit sometime in... 1902 (Y2 joke anyone?)
Old 02-20-1999, 10:33 AM
Kevin M

Default Re: Battery poor example

Batteries and tires are warrenteed by the manufacturer of that product not the car manufacturer !!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-1999, 11:34 AM
Mike

What is the Auto Thority chip?
Old 02-20-1999, 11:34 AM
James R.

Default Good example....read it again....

I believe he was reffering to the kind of problems some people have after installing aftermarket accessories, i.e. you install a car audio amplifier and you grab what you think is the remote lead when in fact it's always hot...so instead of the amp coming on and off with the ignition switch it just stays on...thus running your battery down. You charge it up...it runs down again...geeze so you take it into the dealer and they tell you to go screw yourself because you created the problem...anyhow that's what I gathered from that post.
Old 02-20-1999, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Warranty Voids Due to Chip Detection (Long)

Insider is naturally clued in. The dealer has very little input on the warranty issue. Dealers' warranty repairs are audited by the manufacturer.<p>A friend of mine is a BMW factory regional manager in charge of warranty audits. He has nailed dealers for performing warranty work on parts which were allegedly caused to fail by after market parts. It seems as if a dealer has gotten burned for this a few times, they are likely to become less "chip friendly."<p>My Audi service manager told me of several stories where people where out big $$$ due to after market parts. If I recall correctly, the examples he conveyed to me involved chipped vehicles having additional modifications (exhaust, one may have had an after market cam, and etc.).<p>My dealer frowns on chipping. My dealer, therefore, is more likely to inform AoA of the presence after market parts and attribute the failure to aftermarket parts. This may weigh heavily into AoA's decision to deny coverage. If AoA believes that a failure is caused by or attributable to an aftermarket part, they may deny coverage regardless of a "chip friendly" dealers opinion.<p>Curiously, does the chip companies offer to replace any parts which the chip may cause to fail?
Old 02-21-1999, 04:15 AM
falcon

See March 99 Car & Driver (AutoThority chip used on a VW) and the last couple of days in this forum.