A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-1999, 10:57 AM
TM

Default Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)

So I have a one month old A4, Silver, and I waxed it about 3 weeks ago with Mothers step 3 carnuba (sp?) liquid wax. The finish was totally awesome! Slick as ice. Now it is still smooth, but not as slick but the water still beads up well. I've been told that the wax will hold up about 3 months in my environment. I'm guessing that I should apply the step 2 polish monthly and wax every three or four months. Then use the step 1 twice a year. I really liked the finish after I waxed it. Perhaps I'm being **** about it. (my wife thinks so) Anyway is it the consensus that I polish between waxing or should I just wax it again?<br>Tommy<br>99.5 1.8TS-Tip Silver/Onyx<p>BTW: Doesn't the Mothers car wash soap smell good enough to eat?
Old 07-13-1999, 11:13 AM
MarkG

Default Don't polish and I'd wait on the wax

The wax is still good if it's beading. You probably don't even need to polish a silver car more than once or twice a year. Polish has more impact on dark cars. You have to reapply wax after you polish so you can't just polish alone. The two step polish/wax process is alot of work. Wait until the car needs it, you can do more harm than good if you do too much. I know, I did. I have a brilliant black A4 with swirls.<p>Mark (98.4 2,8 QMS)
Old 07-13-1999, 11:15 AM
Frank

Default Just wax, or try.....

I believe polish has a mild abrasive in it. I don't think you want to use that on your car all the time. Waxing again will probably be just fine. If you want to keep in shiny all the time with minimal work I would suggest a Mequires Quickmist touch up or similar product. Once you have your car waxed, and say it gets a little dirty a week or two later, all you have to do is spray this on, and wipe off. Viola, good as new. Plus it has a sorta pleasant banana smell. Careful though if you use it too much your neighbors may have you commited. Good luck.
Old 07-13-1999, 11:18 AM
Shabbis

Default Meguiars has a solution...

Meguiars makes three products you could try:<br>(These all apply in the form of a spray)<br>1. Clear Coat Paint Protectant<br>2. Mequiars Quik Wax<br>3. Meguiars Quik Detailer<br>
Old 07-13-1999, 11:32 AM
Pete

Default Long answer from experience with a Black car (don't buy Black)

Hmmmmm….. <p>I would use Mother’s step one and two late fall (after the leaves are off the trees) and early spring. As for the wax, I might skip Mother’s. It is very easy to use, especially with an orbital buffer. I use one from Sears, I think it is a 9”. They are fairly cheap, but you will want to buy a total of 6 terry cloth applicators, and 2 of the lambs wool and a 15’ orange extension cord. The wool one’s, I am a little skeptical about, this is wool, and isn’t wool scratchy? They do seem to do a good job though for taking the wax off. I use the terry cloth applicators for steps 1,2,3 applying and taking off. Taking off, I would also use cloth baby diapers by hand.<p>For wax, I would use the One Grand Blitz Wax that you can get through the Internet or look for it local. It shines for a long time if used with a good car wash liquid. I am not a great fan of Carecare Online, for some of their suggestions were not great. Example, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (something like Mother’s step one) does a decent job, but you absolutely need to follow it up with Mother’s step 2 or another product which adds oils back to the paint. In my opinion, 3M is just too harsh. Also CareCare online suggests Sonnax car wash. This product is too harsh as well.<p>The best car wash I have found is Zymol, it comes in a clear bottle, blue concentrate. It’s great and will help the wax last.<p>One last tip, use masking tape to tape off all black and non painted surfaces. Low tack masking tape if you can find it in an art supply store. This will save you the heartache of wax drying on plastic and speed up the process, for you can apply the wax with less concern. Try not to apply the tape on the paint job, just on the plastic. It sounds like a pain in the ***, but the car will look great and no sloppy spots.<p>-Pete<br>
Old 07-13-1999, 11:54 AM
Jim

Default Re: Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)

I just tried the Meguiar's Final Inspection. Great stuff! Mother's also has one called Showtime, I believe. I had asked this same question of one of our sponsors Autofanatics.com and they recommended it. I also got their polishing cloths. This makes for a quick shine "tune-up" between waxes.
Old 07-13-1999, 12:28 PM
TM

Default I'm using that product for bird poop

d
Old 07-13-1999, 12:31 PM
TM

Default Thanks for all the help. Looks like the Mothers version of the Quick Detailer is the answer!

a
Old 07-13-1999, 12:33 PM
IronMike

I love black! All my cars have been black. Nothing looks better than a shiny black car IMO
Old 07-13-1999, 12:49 PM
Andy Hedin

Counterpoint: I've had good luck with both 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Sonax Gloss Shampoo (car wash)

Quick Reply: Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)