A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-1999, 12:52 PM
antony

Default I agree with IronMike - I love black!

asd
Old 07-13-1999, 02:02 PM
Cameron

Ahem... your Audi is waiting, Mr. Ford...
Old 07-13-1999, 02:37 PM
Ross

Default Synthetic

Everyone agrees that synthetic oils are superior in all criteria to natural oils.<br>Why is there any question as to the superiority of synthetic polishes. The only reason not to use syntetic oil is the price because we are replacing it without seeing a true breakdown.<br>The new Polishes with teflon go on easier, do not streak, have UV protection (Not important on paint)and outlast any wax (Carnuba being the best but impossible to apply in concentrated forms) 3 or for times. Try putting a wax on one side window and a polish like Eagle one polish with teflon on the other. See which doesn't streak and which lasts longer.
Old 07-13-1999, 02:37 PM
Ross

Default Synthetic

Everyone agrees that synthetic oils are superior in all criteria to natural oils.<br>Why is there any question as to the superiority of synthetic polishes. The only reason not to use syntetic oil is the price because we are replacing it without seeing a true breakdown.<br>The new Polishes with teflon go on easier, do not streak, have UV protection (Not important on paint)and outlast any wax (Carnuba being the best but impossible to apply in concentrated forms) 3 or for times. Try putting a wax on one side window and a polish like Eagle one polish with teflon on the other. See which doesn't streak and which lasts longer.
Old 07-13-1999, 02:39 PM
Ross

Opps-- Sorry reposted in error
Old 07-13-1999, 02:56 PM
alexi

Default Zaino is awesome!

I am waiting on my D status Avant, but in anticipation I ordered some Zaino Bros. Products. When it arrived I decided to give it a try on a handy 98 Chevy Malibu (I feel the flames) Absolutely Incredible, the depth and shine were like nothing I had seen before. When I e-mailed them with a question the response was quick and thorough. The black sidewall stuff is also wonderful, doesn't attract dirt and just the right shade of black (on the wonderful Firestone Affinity all seasons!!)
Old 07-13-1999, 03:10 PM
CKL

Default Teflon? Synthetics? NOT NECESSARILY THE BEST

There is a lot of debate over the silicones found in most of the synthetic-based "waxes." Silicone*can*really screw up any attempt to repaint a car. Ask any body shop--a good one can get the silicone off of the paint, but not without lots of labor and a risk that the new paint will fisheye.<p>Teflon is BS. You simply cannot get PTFE molecules to stick to paint under normal wax application conditions. This has been documented by the makers of Teflon. Eagle One is cruising for an FTC investigation and/or fines if they keep up their hype.<p>There are plenty of good synthetic paint protectors on the market. If you are happy with what you use, stick with it. Just don't talk in absolutes unless you are willing and able to debunk all the arguments on the other side.
Old 07-13-1999, 03:10 PM
CL

Default Teflon? Synthetics? NOT NECESSARILY THE BEST

There is a lot of debate over the silicones found in most of the synthetic-based "waxes." Silicone*can*really screw up any attempt to repaint a car. Ask any body shop--a good one can get the silicone off of the paint, but not without lots of labor and a risk that the new paint will fisheye.<p>Teflon is BS. You simply cannot get PTFE molecules to stick to paint under normal wax application conditions. This has been documented by the makers of Teflon. Eagle One is cruising for an FTC investigation and/or fines if they keep up their hype.<p>There are plenty of good synthetic paint protectors on the market. If you are happy with what you use, stick with it. Just don't talk in absolutes unless you are willing and able to debunk all the arguments on the other side.
Old 07-13-1999, 03:12 PM
CL

Sorry about the repost
Old 07-13-1999, 03:19 PM
Brent Alexander

Default Re: Long answer from experience with a Black car (don't buy Black)

The painter's masking tape is a great idea. Never thought of that. I've always hated that dried wax on the non-painted surfaces.

Quick Reply: Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)