A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Waxing/Polishing question...(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-1999, 06:31 PM
Ross

Default Stuck on Name Brands? -- Wait for "Tommy" Wax --Sythetic waxes last longer!

Who is talking absolutes. Sand blasting at a body shop removes all. If its that hard to remove maybe it's better-- Must stick to paint great inspite of your suggestion. Maybe the lawsuit will have to include "Turtle Wax" brand polish with teflon and Starbright plish with teflon9only 3 I've used. Carnuba is natural and has to be mixed to be simpler to use --must be re-applied often --- try a test yourself on glass and see.That will be an ABSOLUTE.
Old 07-13-1999, 08:09 PM
Jetpilot

Default Dog's Love Mothers car wash.

My dog eats it every chance he gets. So according to him it's good stuff.But then again he has been known to eat other not so appetizing things every now and then.<p>The neighbors dog also likes it when the runoff reahes his house.
Old 07-14-1999, 09:27 AM
CL

Default You are the one who brought up brands, not me . . .

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that it is impossible to say whether synthetics or carnauba is better. Your original post asks why there is any question whether synthetics are the best. I pointed out some negatives about synthetics.<p>SILICONE sticks to paint very well, and again, ask anyone who has worked in a body shop how much of a headache it is to remove (and not every paint problem requires sandblasting). I once asked Meguiars' tech people about silicone and they told me this. You can call them too, if you don't believe me (and remember that many of their waxes have silicone so they have an interest in making people LIKE it). Silicone does stick to paint and repel water but it will NOT do the cosmetic job of filling in scratches and swirls. This is why many people prefer carnauba to synthetic--the cosmetic effect rather than the "water beading" which has nothing to do with the visibility of scratches and swirls on your car.<p>TEFLON aka PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene, cannot adhere to paint under normal waxing conditions, no matter what Eagle One or Turtle Wax says. Ask any chemist--it just ain't possible.<p>As far as testing waxes on glass, it isn't relevant to how my car looks. Beading of water on perfectly smooth glass has nothing to do with how well a product masks the little swirls and scratches on my &%$# Brilliant Black.<p>Use what you like, it is your car. If you are happy with what you use, and your car looks good, more power to you.<p>