A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Waxing tonight. Need wax recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-1999, 09:08 AM
Ed

Default Waxing tonight. Need wax recommendations...

Hi All,<p>Well, I've had my baby one week today and I must say, I LOVE IT!! What a car! But now comes the satisfying job of waxing my Silver baby.<p>I've been to Car Care specialties and read all about waxes, methods, etc. The only thing is I'm not sure which wax to get. I live in SF bay area, and was thinking about getting Meguires Gold wax. Anybody have any experience with this? Any other waxes recommended?<p>I was going to wash with Meguires car washing solution (I think that's what it's called). Then wax it (still trying to figure out which wax). I've heard about polishing before the wax.<br>Anybody try this? Recommend it?<p>Would appreciate any feedback.<br>Thanks in advance.<p>Ed<br>99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 05-25-1999, 09:19 AM
MichaelB

Default Re: Waxing tonight. Need wax recommendations...

I recommend either the Meguiar's Yellow #26 or the Mothers California Gold Liquid. They are both excellent and relatively easy to find.<p>If you want to polish, try the Meguiar's #7 Glaze or the Mother's equivalent (prior to waxing), which I think is called a sealer. I'd recommend just waxing, as the polishes tend to provide more bang-for-the-buck with darker colors. If you want to really go nuts, use the polish. However, you will get excellent results with silver with the wax alone.<p>As a sidenote, I have been using the Meguiars Gold Class car wash, and it is great.<p>Mike
Old 05-25-1999, 09:19 AM
T2

Default M's Gold Class...

I've used Meguiars Gold Class on my silver A4, and I'm very happy with it. For the 1st year I only used the 2nd step one (polish/wax combination). Once a year I plan to use the 1st (cleaner/polish) and 2nd steps together.<p>Found this very easy to buff off, and it lasts. I've only waxed 3 times in 16 months.<p>Tom<br>'98 1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 05-25-1999, 09:20 AM
DavidG

Default My two cents

Remember that wax only protects the finish. You need to use a polish or glaze to actually smooth the surface of the paint (generally by filling in the low spots) and give it a glassy shine. Then, seal this in with the coat of wax.<p>Many people on this forum use and respect Meguiar's products, among others. A popular combination is to use #7 glaze followed by #26 wax. If the paint needs a little more work to remove oxidation or fill in slight swirls, you can start off with #9 swirl remover or Medallion Paint Cleaner and then proceed as above. You generally don't need these cleaners on a brand new car, though.<p>Some have said that #9 doesn't really do much in the swirl elimination department and have recommended 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. I bought some of this myself and plan to try it the next time I wax. I'll first clean the paint with Meguiar's Medallion Paint Cleaner to remove any accumulated contaminants, then apply the Imperial Hand Glaze and finish with my #26 wax. I don't expect miracles when it comes to swirl elimination, though. Experts tell me that you really need the friction heating of a rotary buffer to truly remove swirls.<p>
Old 05-25-1999, 09:20 AM
Rob

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze...better than Gold IMHO
Old 05-25-1999, 09:33 AM
Amro

Default Meguiares 3 step process...

On my Santorin Blue, I alternate between the 3 step process and an occasional waxing. About 2 - 3 times a year, I use step 1 (body scrub). This really works well. After that, step 2 (polish) leaves a nice swirl free surface. Step 3 is the Gold paste. Looks awesome.<p>One of the biggest problems I have is the dust that accumulates while your polishing the car. I found that if I wash the car between steps, this helps out a bunch.<p>One of the paint supply stores here in Dallas (English) had recommended Meguiars #26 or something like that. Well, if you every wax at night under a fluorescent light, you'd be amazed at what kind of detail you can see. The #26 left very disgusting swirl marks after the body scrub. I took that off and went back to the standard polish and paste.<p>Depending on how **** you are, you could spend many hours on your car. I've personally gone 6 hours<p>Enjoy <br>Amro 2.8 qMSWX<br>
Old 05-25-1999, 09:55 AM
Conker

I used Mother's last time. Never used Meguiars. Mother's was most expensive I could find, so I thought I'd give it a try. Comes off super easy. good luck
Old 05-25-1999, 10:01 AM
Andy Hedin

One-Grand Blitz Wax...great stuff!
Old 05-25-1999, 10:04 AM
Miagi

Four words: Wax on, Wax off
Old 05-25-1999, 10:21 AM
Drew S.

Default Meguiar's Mirror Glaze is not a wax!

It's a good product but you need to follow it up with wax or you are asking for trouble. A glaze will clean the surface of the paint and leave it unprotected. A wax provides the protection after the glaze.<br>

Quick Reply: Waxing tonight. Need wax recommendations...