A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Weird AC blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird AC blower problem

Hello

Problem is i start the car, after 2-3 minutes, the blower stop all of a sudden, the ventilation lines on the display go from, lets say 5 that i set to 0, wich i cant set it manually to 0, it goes to OFF, 10 sec pass, nothing happenes( somethimes i hear a weird humming noise behind the glovebox)lines go back to 5 then blower starts at 5vent speed, not gradually.

Somethimes it blows/stops several times in those 10sec.
huuuf, stop,huuuf, stop...very weird.
Checked VAG-com, no errors, did a recalibration of motors, not helping.
Ac works great, no problems blowing air where i want, i get hear, i get cold air...what is happening.

In rest car works flawlessly except the idle vibrations from God knows what.

Please help, winter coming i dont want surprize AC atack and no heating after....LD

Car is A4 B5 Facelift 1.6i gas, AHL motor.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weaselciuy
Hello

Problem is i start the car, after 2-3 minutes, the blower stop all of a sudden, the ventilation lines on the display go from, lets say 5 that i set to 0, wich i cant set it manually to 0, it goes to OFF, 10 sec pass, nothing happenes( somethimes i hear a weird humming noise behind the glovebox)lines go back to 5 then blower starts at 5vent speed, not gradually.

Somethimes it blows/stops several times in those 10sec.
huuuf, stop,huuuf, stop...very weird.
Checked VAG-com, no errors, did a recalibration of motors, not helping.....

Car is A4 B5 Facelift 1.6i gas, AHL motor.
From the description you provided, and the fact there are no fault codes, it seems you need to replace the blower motor, which can be accessed after removing the glove box. On occasion, the resistor in the circuit may fail, but that will result in either the motor not working or being stuck at full speed.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, i forgot to mention one thing: all that happen only after i start the car, once, after that in never happenes again untill i stop and restart the car.

But if you say its behind the glovebox its certanly it since thats where those weird humming/scratching sounds come from...

Also checked the AC onboard diag thing and no errors, on channel 0 i get 0.0 so no problems.
Will have to check
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, i forgot to mention one thing: all that happen only after i start the car, once, after that in never happenes again untill i stop and restart the car.

But if you say its behind the glovebox its certanly it since thats where those weird humming/scratching sounds come from...

Also checked the AC onboard diag thing and no errors, on channel 0 i get 0.0 so no problems.
Will have to check
Replace the blower motor.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello,
Yeah replacind the blower was my tought too but...today i managed to get to the AC unit (cant remove it from console dunno how), but stereo, grills removed i could hear it much better.
When i get that simptome that occurs only once after starting car, the AC unit makes a strange hissing escalating sound like charging one of those they use in the hospital to start your heart;(does it have a fan inside, behind the display?)... then stops, vent blows 1-2sec, stops again, sound starts for 4-5sec, and so on untill it works...I`m thinking its the unit. Ever since i got the car it made that sound but much less intense. It just suddenly grew in db and now it stops/starts.

Either blower or its the unit sending weird signals...why work good after first 5min of car start? Anything to check at engine? Maybe engine coolant, should i replace it 50/50 water/g12 coolant, i`m getting weird temperatures at engine, 90, if i stop 3-4minutes temp drops to 60C with outside temp at 10C. Maybe bad temp at engine...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

......Either blower or its the unit sending weird signals...why work good after first 5min of car start? Anything to check at engine? Maybe engine coolant, should i replace it 50/50 water/g12 coolant, i`m getting weird temperatures at engine, 90, if i stop 3-4minutes temp drops to 60C with outside temp at 10C. Maybe bad temp at engine...
Coolant level and strength have nothing to do with this noise you are attempting to describe. G12 should be to concentration that will protect from freezing to -25C if you live in a cold climate area.

If your blower motor is not wanting to start and then runs correctly after 5 or 6 minutes, replace the blower motor.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, talked to an electrician, told me the blower motors "coal" thing, dunno how its in english, is used, problem will get worse in time.

Definitly the blower as it blows air at max like a little girl ...

Thx for the help.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok update:

I bought new blower but didn't install yet.
Thing is, everyday I check OBD channel 1 and today I finally got an error code. Its 18.3 - fresh air blower voltage, sporadic.
Problem gets worst by the day. What can it mean, te error code I mean.

Blower related?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok update:

I bought new blower but didn't install yet.
Thing is, everyday I check OBD channel 1 and today I finally got an error code. Its 18.3 - fresh air blower voltage, sporadic.
Problem gets worst by the day. What can it mean, te error code I mean.

Blower related?
Motor or resistor. It takes about 45 minutes to change the blower.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Motor or resistor. It takes about 45 minutes to change the blower.
If the darn rain stops tomorrow i`ll go take out the motor.
Problem is i dunno where the resistor is. I found a post some1 having exactly the same problem and it was the resistor. Can i reach it the same way i get to the blower? Or do i have to dismantle something else?...

Anyway it can be fixed or something?

And btw, if lets say the ODB on the ac unit has more error codes to display on channel 1, how do you go through them? Maybe there are more but all i can see in 1 is 18.3 .

edit: is this the transistor, attached to the blower fan case? Or are there any other running from it to the AC unit inside the car, transistors and stuff i mean.

First pic is resistor(i think) 2nd is the blower but i guess you know this.
Attached Images   

Last edited by weaselciuy; 10-18-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Weird AC blower problem