A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

well, my rotor change project turned into a seized caliper and brake fluid everywhere project

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well, my rotor change project turned into a seized caliper and brake fluid everywhere project

my car is in gear, so it wont roll out of my parking spot at my condo.... it has no brake fluid, caliper piston has been over extended, and i still didnt get my rotors or pads changed...
Old 09-25-2003, 06:04 PM

Okay, how did you push the piston out?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i didnt push the piston out, i had that tool that holds it down, but when we were putting it back

the piston became over extended, guess we didnt do it right, but then i took it off and tried to fix it and brake fluid all over, so now car is parked
Old 09-25-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Hmmmmm

If you know this already then just ignore this,
When you remove the calipers you should immediately compress the pistons all the way down, ensure that the cap is loose or off and watch for spills as you compress.

This will ensure that when you reassemble the pistons will clear the brake pads.

If its leaking from the seal you're going to have to remove the piston, clean the sealing area, reassemble and replace the dust sheild.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wowza. if the piston comes out, how hard is it to get it back in?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so a piston that is overextended is still fixable?

it leaked from the seal, what cap do i take off?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:01 PM

Default The visible seal around the piston is just a dust cap

The actual seal is around the piston itself.
You would need to remove the rubber dust cap and clean the brake fluid away.

(The other cap that you should remove is the cap for the brake fluid resevoir, it should be loose so that when you push the piston back in the brake fluid can back up into the resevoir)

if you open the bleeder valve you should still be able to push the piston carefully back in.

There could be a lot of air in the system so you would have to bleed all four brakes carefully to make sure that you get all of the air out. Start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder.

It is essential that you do not allow any dirt, dust or grit in the dust cap or past the piston as this could cause it to leak or fail in the future

I'm assuming that you are working on the front brakes. If this is the rear then the piston needs to be rotated back into place.

My recommendation is that you tow it to a brake shop and have them redo it. Brakes are serious business so this is at your own risk.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Also, do only one caliper at a time

Remove only one at a time. Otherwise, as you're compressing one piston you could pop the one on the other caliper out.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

damn so it is fixable, well my problem was i didnt loosen the resevoir, which one is it
Old 09-25-2003, 09:38 PM

Default Re: damn so it is fixable, well my problem was i didnt loosen the resevoir, which one is it

Before you push the pistons back in you should loosen the resevoir cap, i.e. the filler cap where you pour in the brake fluid.

You need to keep an eye on the fluid level when you are bleeding the brakes or pushing the calipers back in so that it doesn't overflow or run dry.

Once again if you're not sure you should check with a professional.

Quick Reply: well, my rotor change project turned into a seized caliper and brake fluid everywhere project