A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Well switching from ATP GT2X to GTRS.... sorta long

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well switching from ATP GT2X to GTRS.... sorta long

So after the saga of my GT2X failing I have finally sorted out the warranty situation. So a little background. I installed the GT2X at the end of December. The turbo started to fail after about 1500 miles with the symptoms of getting louder and burning oil. I couldnt believe that it was actually failing and it was my daily driver so i drove about another 1000 miles on it before i pulled it to RMA it. I had to return the turbo to ATP for a inspection to see if the turbo failed due to manufacturing reasons. The inspection took 1.5 weeks. This was extremely frustrating since i had to take the turbo out and leave my car undrivable for the time the inspection took. I offered just to purchase another turbo and when they received mine they could credit the money if the RMA was deemed warrantable but they wouldnt work with me on that. So i pulled the turbo and it had approx. .5 inches of shaft play. It was also burning so much oil i felt like James Bond on the final trip to the shop with the smoke screen. It was great. The turbo was in fact warrantable. I requested to upgrade the turbo since i was RMA'ing it anyways, this showed to be a new process for them so the only way they could do this is to pro-rate the cost of the GT2X. The amount it was pro-rated was reasonable and i was glad they let me upgrade. So along with upgrading to the GTRS i went ahead and got the high flow manifold and the cat delete downpipe. ATP was pretty slow to respond but overall i am satisfied with their service and product. Lets hope this one lasts longer. So if everything gets shipped out on time i will be able to put in the new motor, clutch, flywheel, exhaust, GTRS, manifold, cat delete, blah, blah this weekend. This should be interesting. I will dyno it once i get everything together and post the numbers.

--dillon
Old 04-17-2006, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

glad everything worked out. what programming were you running w/ the gt2x?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mika with adjusted wastegate.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good to hear, I hope everything works out well

so far I have over 10k miles logged on my GT2X, no problems yet. *knocks on wood*

I cranked the wastegate to around 1 bar to try to hold more boost. I finally figured out I need to run a wastegate duty cycle of around 58% to hold around 20psi at 7k. Once I get my custom tune I should be able to keep that psi consistent throughout the rev range with n75 programming. Hopefully that won't cause the turbo to instaplode =b

How is the engine buildup going?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The engine build is going good...

I am waiting on the rods right now but the block is back from honing at the machine shop and the crank has been balanced so once i get the rods everything will be ready to put together. I think i am going to try ditching the N75 and see what i come up with. ATP said i could pull ~24lbs to the redline with the GTRS mmmmm :-). I am shooting to put the new motor in saturday. I still have a couple of other parts that are coming along with the rods, clutch, flywheel, RS4 motor mounts... The only other thing as far as drivetrane i can think of is a FMIC but thats going to have to wait a bit. Hopefully everything will be here by friday. Its should be pretty fun.

--dillon
Old 04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I learned that the FMIC is so key in completing the setup.

I was never able to get any sort of decent timing with the stock SMIC. I am having a lot of fun as of late with the car after I installed the front mount. It's really a whole different beast =)

I hope to be putting in my clutch soon as well. I got the same as you, SB OFE SS. It's sitting on my floor right now in the box because I have no money to install it. Tax man hurt me bad this year.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are you going to use the stock flywheel?

Its should launch pretty hard once you get it broken in. I am going to complete the brake parts before the FMIC. I still need to get the lines and brackets. I got the calipers for a pretty good price from car-parts.com, 290 shipped. Hope fully it will get to a stopping point soon, famous last words...
Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yep, stock flywheel. The spending never stops...
Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Elder Member

Default Glad to hear ATP did their job, even though it may have taken a little long.

doesnt sound like it took too long though. Hope you get your new set up running soon.

What software are you going to run?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Im way too drunk to read that long of a post. Ill read it tomorrow!!!

Quick Reply: Well switching from ATP GT2X to GTRS.... sorta long