A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Well, tried to do rear pads again tonight...damn piston will NOT retract!...>

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 03:00 PM
CP

Default Well, tried to do rear pads again tonight...damn piston will NOT retract!...>

Boy I hope the fronts are easier than this! For the second night I could not get the caliper piston to retract. It'll turn all night, but it won't go in, even with pressure. Guess I'll have to take it to some putz brake shop. I'm planning on doing front rotors and Mintex pads on Saturday as well as Super Blue fluid. Any enlightenment as to getting those rear caliper pistons to retract?
Old 02-23-2000, 03:12 PM
Ron R.

Default Re: Well, tried to do rear pads again tonight...damn piston will NOT retract!...>

The parking brake mechanism is back there. You have to wind them back in or you'll break it.
Old 02-23-2000, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you using a C-clamp and a tool....

I needed to alternate between a c-clamp and my Lisle tool (turning the piston). I'd turn for 2 or 3 rotations and then clamp the c-clamp on and tighten a bit. Then back to the turning of the piston. Three or four back-and-forth sessions like this and they compressed. I did have the cap off my brake fluid reservoir but I didn't open up the bleeder screws at all. I had about 30,000 miles on the car when I did the brakes. My best advise....keep trying if you have the patience.

BTW, the fronts are so easy a child could do them.

HTH,

Andy Hedin
Old 02-23-2000, 03:39 PM
CP

Default Tried this two nights in a row (Andy Hedin)...>

I've tried the twist, then squeeze with a c-clamp. Nothing...piston seems to just keep turning but will not retract. Opened bleeder and fluid would come out when squeezed but piston would not go in. Screw this! I'll have to make an appt. for Saturday.
I'm still planning on doing the fronts(pads and ATE discs) and a fluid change this weekend though. Any suggestions Andy?
Thanks,
Cy
Old 02-23-2000, 05:48 PM
Jim Meyer

Default Something else you might try...

I don't know if the A4's brake system works the same way as my '90 Corrado's ABS system did, but with the Corrado you could release most of the pressure in the brake system by pumping the brake pedal with the engine not running. After pumping the pedal 20-30 times the pedal would drop further to the floor and feel harder. I think I remember doing this with the A4 and having a similar feel.

I, too, struggled to retract the pistons when I replaced my A4's rear pads with Mintex Redbox. I eventually retracted them by placing the modified Lisle "cube" tool against the piston and using a large C-clamp to force the tool into the piston, thus applying pressure. I then turned the "cube" tool by placing a screwdriver through holes in the side and turning slightly. After a little turning the "cube" would pop out from under the clamp, but by being persistent and going a little at a time I was able to get the pistons in.

Jim Meyer
'98.5 2.8QMS
Old 02-23-2000, 09:53 PM
Warren Wang

Default Don't clamp TOO hard

If you clamp down too hard, you could mess up the rear caliper. It needs a lot of force, but be gentle about it.

And yes, it is a serious pain in the ***. It took me all freakin day to do the rears. The fronts were cake. When I need the brakes done on my S4, I'm just gonna take it to the shop. Not worth the effort to save the bucks.

Oh yeah, eat your wheaties! You'll need them...

Warren