A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

WEMMT: What is going on this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's more than a heater core issue unfortunately...

it's more w/ the motor me thinks. Very good possibility I have a leaky head gasket which pressurized the coolant system. The Heater core was the weakest link, so it blew out the end tank. Once bypassed, it would burp coolant out the reservoir after about 15min and then the low coolant light would blink.

Scared the crap out of me when the HC blew though... lol. My instructor didn't appreciate the hot coolant on her feet either :-P

Tuesday I drove my dad's SVT Focus, Goldie's Saabaru (9-2), and Jimax's M3. I pushed the focus pretty hard as I was familiar w/ the car (was only 2 seconds off my dad's lap time, and it was the first time I took the car on the track :-P). I layed into the 9-2 OK, but not badly as it wasn't my car and I wasn't confident that the brakes would stop as there was a LOT of pedal travel. The M3 was fun. Amazing the difference in feel coming out of corners. You could feel the car getting pushed out of the turn vs pulled w/ hte AWD/FWD cars! Very neutral as well, though I got it a tiny bit squirrelly coming out of the uphill esses because I wasn't too smooth w/ my transission. I was only about 2 seconds faster w/ the M3 than I was w/ the focus on my fastest lap, but again I wasn't pushing the M3 that badly as a) it wasn't my car and b) it was low on fuel, so it would cut out on hard right hand turns... lol. Supposedly a common problem on those cars after getting lower than 1/2 a tank of gas.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eeek. at least it's a project car and not a DD.

at some point, I would like to drive a RWD car on the track. and, with 2 M3s and a 911 in the group of guys that usually go from the NJ area with me, the chances are getting better.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yup, that's for sure!

though at the moment w/ the boost at 6psi, and me not at WOT 100% of the time, it tends to be less of an issue :-P I do need to finish cleaning it up and putting the interior back in teh car though... it's a REAL mess right now.

I've noticed that once you get into the higher run groups, they really don't notice/care if you swap cars. I'd def say to try a RWD car and see how it works. I enjoyed the experience, though it wasn't enough to make me want to get rid of the 4000. I think with some more work, I can get my 4000 faster than my buddy's M3, but that's just me.