A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Went to GM's Showroom in Motions this morning (some A4 content)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-1999, 10:33 PM
Tom

Default Went to GM's Showroom in Motions this morning (some A4 content)

Sorry for mistaked you guys last night that today was the GM's Showroom in Motions not the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience. My BMW Ultimate Driving Experience event should be sometimes next month, they even promised they will have the Ci there too. But today I went to GM Canada's event.<br>They divided into a couple of tracks for testing: <br>One for sports cars (Corvette, 996, M3, Camaro and Mustang)<br>One for luxury sedans (A4 2.8QAS vs 328iSA vs Mercedes C280 standard suspension, 9-3 185 hp and of course, Cadillac Catera sport (only the A4 has Tiptronic S tyranny, all others are automatic box), 540 sport, E430 standard suspension and A6 2.8QA.<br>One for mid-size and compact family sedans like VW Jetta 2.0 GL, Passat V6, Accord V6, Maxima SE, Altima, Camry XLE and some GM junks (more on that later on...)<br>The ones that I didn't went to was the sport-utilites, minivans and rednecks' flavourite: pick-up trucks.<br>The best handling for sports car hands down: BMW M3. This car is simply superb. I don't even drive the pony American sports cars, so I can't comment which is worsen but my GF told me Camaro is worsen. Porsche 996 C2 is the second best handler and Corvette handtop is the last.<br>On the luxury sedan area, most people are fighting keys for the A4 and E46. The A4 and E46 finished toe-to-toe on this autocross-style track, but because of its Quattro and Its the most forgiving car on the lot, Audi wins hands down. The Catera is lacks of power, butt-ugly but handles pretty good.<br>Family sedan area the best are, OF COURSE, both Volkswagens. <br>At one time another driver a soft as a pillow Toyota Camry left the starting point 2-3 mins earlier than me, my Passat V6 catched up with him in those fast skidpad. Even though it have more roll than the A4 (its cheaper, too), but it blows away all other family sedans on the lot. I asked him why he drove some careful, he told me the Camry's body roll is horrible. I agree, even its lack of steering wheel feel too. Maxima feels too damn big in this course but its the quickest off the line with its 222hp engine. The best handling family car other than 2 VW is the Honda Accord, feels as stable as the Jetta through the skidpad but lacks that expensive German feels.<br>The worse handlers are all GMs except Intrigue. Intrepid should be in the middle of the pack which has better steering wheel than Camry too.<br>Impatiently waiting to drive the BMW M Coupe and 328Ci next month!! :><br>Tom<br>97 A4 1.8TQMS<br>99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 07-16-1999, 10:37 PM
Tom

Forgot to mention the 540, E430 and A6 are competition to the Caddy STS. Of course, 3 Germans are almost tie but Audi lacks power and Merceds is too damn HUGE on the course...