A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Werks of Art Stage 2 Clutch Log (1000 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 08:09 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Werks of Art Stage 2 Clutch Log (1000 miles)

Clutch log
1st entry (1,000 miles):

Well I now have 1000+ miles on my Werks of Art Stage 2 clutch.
I had the dealer install it for a chunk of change... DON'T ask!
The clutch slave cylinder was also leaking at that point, and was replaced under warranty.

The clutch itself is a kevlar fiber clutch disc with a 2000psi pressure plate.
(See pics on my web page if interested). The clutch system retains the OEM flywheel. I chose to go this route given the mixed reviews of lightened flywheels. I would have loved the driving response of a lightweight flywheel but the possibility of tranny noise/chatter was VERY unappealing to me.

Anyway Juan warned me that the clutch takes about 100+ miles to break in, and until then clutch will slip. This is attributed to the kevlar needing to coat the flywheel surface, and to roughen up the clutch disc finish.

I got my car back from the dealer and the clutch pedal feel was RIDICULOUSLY light. It took more effort to push in the gas pedal than it does to actuate the clutch. This was counter intuitive to what I was expecting. A few days later I determined that it was all due to the new slave cylinder. It took a couple of days for the cylinder to tighten up to the normal stock feel. The pedal effort is THE SAME as stock. No more... no less... The height of the clutch engagement point is about the same as stock maybe a touch lower on my car. In further discussions with Juan he says that it all depends on the vehicle some drop more than others. To be honest I would just say mine is at stock height, which I like. I don't like pushing the clutch to the floor to shift. It takes too long.

So I drove out of the dealer in my newly assembled car, punch it in 2nd ...the revs fly up and car stays lot slower. "Ok it does slip" 10 miles later repeat punching it in 2nd...it holds it. Over the next few days I accrued the 100 miles or so each 25miles or so gaining a holding gear.

100 miles... ooh baby I am excited for this... my clutch has been slipping for so long. I punch it. HOOOOOLY SHIZ!!! APR stage 3 and a clutch that holds = FAST! "Grin" is one word that would describe the next few days of driving.

This continued for some time. I was however noticing little oil patches everywhere I went/left from. I got the car up on the ramps and saw oil all over. I thought it was the oil filter seal leaking. Took it to the dealer the next day and mentioned it to them (they broke... they can fix it) Turns out the rear main oil seal which I had them replace while my tranny was out, was leaking. Not my oil filter. So off to VT last week I went for work, while they fixed my car. I have had it back for a few days and the clutch is doing great. It holds and holds well in every gear. The driveability is excellent. You can slip the clutch when you want, or drop it and it will grab. The joy of a sticky soft contact vs a metallic I guess =)

Now the cons to date:
After break in the only issue I have really noticed was yesterday when I left work. It had been raining all day and my car was parked outside. I went to leave the parking lot and in 1st and 2nd gear I was getting lurching while at a steady light throttle. It wasn't my engine misfiring it was the clutch slipping. Here is what I think happened. Kevlar has a tendency to absorb moisture. Having been outside in a humid wet environment all day the outer surface of the clutch disc probably absorbed that moisture. The lurching went away after .25 miles or so. I would assume the pressure plate and cycling mixed with the increasing temperature caused the moisture to "squeeze out" and have the pad imbed again. I will pay attention next time it rains to see if it repeats.

The winter should be a good environmental screening for this clutch. I will probably create a matrix of the possible environments/test and put it up on my webpage with results.

Anyway that is my 1k mile clutch log... I need a new BPV, as it is acting up. When I have one and if the weather cooperates my plan is to go get some race gas =) and see if the clutch can hold that much torque...

Stay tuned
Old 12-18-2001, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up thanks. Logging in back of brain for post turbo upgrade ideas.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:25 AM

Intriguing
Old 12-18-2001, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

exciting!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:47 AM
Rest In Peace

Titillating
Old 12-18-2001, 08:51 AM

nice, thanks
Old 12-18-2001, 08:54 AM

Good write up! How's the leg doin'?
Old 12-18-2001, 08:55 AM

Default Nice writeup...Werks of Art clutch just went way up on my someday list

I have little interest in the lightened flywheel/clutch combos for the street. I still want to maintain some sort of comfort level in the car...I gave up as much as I am willing to give with the DTS.

I think the stock clutch is inadequate for even a stage 1. It takes 2-3 days of "normal" driving after a day autocrossing (6-8 launches) to get the clutch back to normal feel.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:38 AM
Elder Member

Default Exactly what I wanted to hear :)

except for the rain part, but let us know what happens with that.

regards,
Liam
Old 12-18-2001, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good info. My BPV is dead too.