A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wet braking brake shield part no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet braking brake shield part no?

Contacted my dealer about fixing my wet braking issue, and gave them the part no:
#8D0698998, but said that it does not exist. He said that a 069 usually indicates an accessory, and that brake parts usually are in the 600 range. Did I give the wrong part no, or he is missing something?

Someone mentioned the wet braking was addressed in TSB 46-97-01, but that refers to Brake Squeel (since superseded by 46-00-01). Does anyone have a current TSb that references WET BRAKING?
Old 04-10-2001, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no wet braking TSB to the best of my knowledge....

....not to say one might not be issued in the future, but last time I checked (I think it was last Friday), there weren't any "wet braking" TSB's on the Audi/VW Tech web site.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor

Default So then..

Where is this magically part 8D0698998 being called out from? And why can't my dealer locate it?
Old 04-10-2001, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have no idea what that part number is....

....I do recall reading about at least one person who got a part number for some kit that was supposed to help eliminate this "wet braking" issue....I think the parts were some sort of rubber splash guards or something like that. I know it wasn't for the larger splash shields on the rotors.

Anyway, if that's the same part number as the one you have, then I have no idea why your dealer was not able to locate the part while another dealer was. Chances are it's such a new part (or "kit") that most of the dealers haven't heard of it yet. Plus, I don't know how the dealers access parts information. If it's distributed on a CD/DVD, your dealer might not have received his update yet.
Old 04-10-2001, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just had it done at my dealer.

He left off the part number though from the work order. Just called it "Modified Water Shield". It looks like a splash guard that sticks down from the plastic pan under the car, and sort of wraps around the front of the wheels.

Will try to get pics soon, gotta borrow a digicam.
Old 04-10-2001, 04:12 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Part # that was posted last week is: 8D0698998A (you were missing an A).

That said, your dealer will probably have to call Audi direct to get this parts kit, if they can not locate it on their computer. Let them know it is NEW, and insist that it does exist. They'll find it if they aren't too lazy to do some legwork.
Old 04-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor

Ok, thanks!
Old 04-10-2001, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ok... coming in late

I had a new brake shield put on my 99 A4's front wheels - sorry, don't know the part number but my dealer was clueless but looked up the part and was able to both find the part and get audi to pay for it kinda like a silent recall

It wasn't a perfect solution but it did make a difference. I no longer have that car (traded to a 01 avant) but I can try to see if the folks who have it (friends) have any of that documentation...
Old 04-10-2001, 05:01 PM

Default Does this fix prevent fading when wet? . . .

I have only had my 2001 A4 2.8 a few weeks. It scared me the first time I applied the brakes when it was raining. I had to apply _way_ more pressure than normal to stop.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:08 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The preliminary responses indicate that it's quite effective.

Only two people here have had them installed, but the responses have been that it makes a huge difference.

By the way, your observation about requiring a huge amount of effort isn't exactly accurate. When there is water in there, it really doesn't make a difference how hard you press. The brakes will not do much of anything until the water clears (which takes about a full second). Chances are you pressed hard after not getting an initial response, and simultaneously, the water cleared, and the brakes began to operate.

Quick Reply: Wet braking brake shield part no?