A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wet Braking: My first encounter in 5k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-1999, 03:35 AM
slack

Default Wet Braking: My first encounter in 5k miles...

Last night after racquetball, in medium down poor, after about 10 mins of highway driving. Whilst merging I needed the slow down, but after applying brakes and feeling the usually pressure on my foot, the car was not slowing. Very Wierd/Alarming/Terrifying. Had never noticed this problem before.

I'm assuming that cross drilled or slotted rotors will mostly if not completely illiminate this problem.

In looking at the rotors available at adirondak aka www.germanautoparts.com. I really like the look of the slotted rotors, but have a feeling the cross drilled will be better for fade resistance, and or taking the car to the track (one of my future goals, along with th PES super charger).

Can anyone who has these or other cross drilled or slotted rotors verify their wet brakng resistance. 'Cuz after last night I'm ready to buy today.

Kind Regards,
slack
99.5 2.8M<ul><li><a href="www.germanautoparts.com">www.germanautoparts .com</a</li></ul>
Old 09-10-1999, 05:12 AM
CraigB

Default I bought DBAsport cross-drilled rotors from Gary @ Ronal...

But I haven't installed them yet. My reason for getting them is the same as yours. After going through a whole CO winter without the wet braking problem, I suddenly experienced it when I had to make a panic stop on the highway from 75mph (traffic was stopped in front of me)! Fortunately, there was a slot in the lane to my right, or I would have had a crunched A4. The funny thing was, that this happened while I was driving to CO Springs to my TAP stage 2 installed. It will be a few more weeks before I have them installed, but I'll post my impressions after I use them a bit and then again after some wet driving. Good luck!

CraigB
Old 09-10-1999, 05:48 AM
DaveL

Default I just got the following from Adirondack to help eliminate the wet braking effect...

F - Ate Powerdiscs
R - Stock rotors
Mintex Red Box all around
SS brake lines and Ate Super Blue.

I'll be getting it installed in the next couple weeks and will post impressions after some wet weather driving.

Dave
'97 1.8TQMS Wett<ul><li><a href="http://131.107.68.28/a4.org/registry/details.asp?car=161">My Car</a></li></ul>
Old 09-10-1999, 06:08 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Slotted rotors didn't help on my A4....

...I've got Rofren pads front and rear with ATE slotted rotors up front. We've finally gotten some heavy rain in the Mid-Atlantic area recently after a long dry spell. I was hoping that the slotted rotors would help eliminate that "Oh ****" feeling I occasionally get when I put my foot on the brake after not using the brakes for a while. Guess what, problem still exists. I'm starting to think that it's the Rofren's and I'm thinking about swapping out the fronts for a set of Mintex to see if they're any better.

<A HREF="Mailto:andy_hedin@hotmail.com">Andy Hedin</A>
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, APR/Borla Exhaust, Euro Headlights, more...
Old 09-10-1999, 06:14 AM
Drew S.

Default How often do you plan to replace your SS brake lines?

Stainless steel lines are not a replace-and-forget item. For safety's sake, you should replace them regularly (perhaps once a year).

The problem is that over time, the SS can fray, and then wear on the underlying nylon hose that it is protecting. Then, one day, all of a sudden, the brake line is cut by the SS, and you have no warning when the brakes are suddenly not working. SS protects the brake line but it also hides evidence of impending doom.

Professional racers use SS brake lines for their strength, but they also replace them on a regular basis.

Be safe.
Old 09-10-1999, 06:18 AM
A. Udi

Default There is nothing you can do about it ...

There is nothing you can do about the rain. Just tap the brakes once in a while or use the engine to break -- stay under 200km/h
Old 09-10-1999, 07:26 AM
ErikR

Default New part...

I heard that Audi has a new inner brake shield, that should solve it. Do the Rofrens have a center groove in them? If not, cut a pair in about 2mm wide parallel at 1/3 from each end, or criss-cross. I make the cut about 1/2 the thickness of the pad material.

The problem is not the pad material per se, it is the incompressability of the water.
Old 09-10-1999, 07:36 AM
slack

Default Never had the 'Oh S**t' feeling in my eclipse. How Come?

Explain why the A4 is so susceptable please, and why nothing can be done about it!

Kind Regards,
slack
99.5 2.8M
Old 09-10-1999, 07:37 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Now I'm a bit confused....

I follow what you're saying about the incompressability of water...but wouldn't my slotted rotors help in that respect by allowing the water to escape from under the pad quicker? BTW, the Rofren pads don't have any slots on them.

Andy Hedin
Old 09-10-1999, 07:46 AM
ErikR

Default Re: Now I'm a bit confused....

It's not that the disk slots/holes aren't working, they just are not enough surface area to make much difference. Slotting the pad is more effective as it gives more edge (bite) to scrape the water into the holes.

To give an example, the favorite pads of touring drivers are the hinged two element pad and the 6-12 pads. It is the contact of all the pad edges that give good feel and water dispersion.

Quick Reply: Wet Braking: My first encounter in 5k miles...