A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wett chip...I'm definately missing something.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-1999, 10:51 PM
Warren

Default Wett chip...I'm definately missing something.

I bought a Wett chip a few long months ago, and am currently working on my third. The first was sent to me, I popped it in, and felt nothing. I attributed it to having driven my mom's Volvo 850 Turbo while waiting for my car, but I swapped the stock chip back in, and could feel no difference between the two chips. I complained and Wett sent me another chip; this time, my car wouldn't even start. I asked for another and they send me one they claim to have tested on another ECU and verified everything was kosher. I pop it in, and I feel no difference. Someone else I know who rode in another friend's stock 1.8t says he felt no difference between his friend's and mine either.

Maybe somone can point out to me what I'm doing wrong, but I doubt it. I just want to let those who are thinking about chip upgrading to be wary of the manufacturer's claims. I wasn't really expecting 200hp and > 200 ft-lbs of torque ( I rarely believe all the claims made by the manufacturer ) but I was expecting something after all the rave reviews I read about the Wett here on the forums. Instead, I got bunk and my pocket's $400 emptier. If you feel your chip kicking in, I'm very glad...I wish I could feel the same thing you are.

Warren

PS Good thing I really like this car stock or I'd be really bummed. No I don't work for Neuspeed, MTM, blah blah blah blah.
Old 08-11-1999, 11:07 PM
IronMike

There has to be something wrong. I only have a 0.8 bar chip, and WOOSH.... super noticeable.
Old 08-11-1999, 11:49 PM
britoki (Brian T)

Did you buy your car used? It may already have been chipped
Old 08-12-1999, 03:29 AM
Greg W

Default A guess

You may have a physical problem with your engine/turbo. How does it run with the stock chip in? Any unusual noises? Does it feel like you're getting boost?
One thing might be a problem, such as a hose with a small split or hole in it, that manifests itself only at higher boost levels.
I had a similar problem with my car. I was getting boost, but the Wett chip just didn't feel like it was doing all it should. I had an intake hose replaced, and the performance was right back where it should be. I guess the faulty hose was able to sustain some level of pressure, but not the levels maintained with the chip in. Kind of like a permanent wastegate.
Anyway, that's what I would check first.
Best of luck.

Greg
Old 08-12-1999, 05:16 AM
Paul Clowser

When you do get it working, you will have NO doubt it's working! ; )
Old 08-12-1999, 05:45 AM
BDW

Default Something's not right ... when my Wett chip was installed ...

I thought the difference from stock was night and day. Much more thrust from 2,500-4,500 RPM, much louder turbo "wheesssshhhhhh," no comparison to stock. So for some reason, either the chips aren't working in your car or something else is up. When you go from a 8+ second 0-60 to a sub 7 second 0-60, you can certainly feel the difference.

Hope you can get it working, because it's a heck of a lot of fun.

BDW
'99 1.8Tqms (Wett 1.0 bar, K&N)
Old 08-12-1999, 05:51 AM
Cris

Default Try this...

Okay, when I first got my Wett chip (@1500mi), I immediately took it out for a spin around town. After driving in traffic for a while... I was thinking,... "is it me or does the car not feel any faster?"
I drove around some more... didn't really notice the difference. Hmmm.... I finally went back into the house and check the socket chip (thinking maybe I have to switch the Wett chip in myself). Nope, that wasn't it. I've finally realized that the way turbo works, afterall, it's my first turbo.
So, I went back out... Warm up the engine. Found an empty stretch of road just to test. .... when you are in 3rd gear (just for test) @ 3000rpm... plant the pedal at far right (gas)...hang on and watch the tach climb to 5k. See if you feel the difference. I certainly did. It scared the crap out of me!!
It's power when you need it!

Love my Wett chip...
don't work for Wett or anyone else.

Cris
Old 08-12-1999, 05:54 AM
Roger

No problems with my Wett chip....
Old 08-12-1999, 06:42 AM
Steve S.

Default Warren...ask Corey S to give you a ride or allow you to drive his....

You can definitely feel the Wett 1.0 bar chip there.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 08-12-1999, 07:33 AM
Corey S

Default If you wanna meet sometime, you can drive mine, we can even try putting my ECU in your car.

Quick Reply: Wett chip...I'm definately missing something.