A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wett chip...I'm definately missing something.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 04:25 PM
Rodney

Default Install a boost guage and see what's up...

I've ridden in several different chipped cars and there is no questionm they feel nothing like stock. Dave P. felt like he wasn't getting full boost out of his Wett 1.0 bar, he installed a boost guage and low and behold it was only putting out about .8. Wett has since corrected the problem and you can feel the difference just going from .8 to 1.0 (stock is about .5). Something is definitely wrong with your chip. That's part of the reason I got a boost guage, when I chip this fall (if I can wait that long), I'll know if everything's working correctly. Good luck, from what I've heard about Wett's customer service I'm sure they'll work things out for you. As an aside, no I don't work for Wett and will probably go with the MTM chip from Hoppen when I chip.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms (stock for a little bit longer)
Old 08-17-1999, 10:02 AM
Greg Woo (different from Greg W)

Default Re: Boost Gauge

Warren:

This is a late reply to your post. That sounds funny since your post was only last Thursday, but so much happens on the forum in a few days.

Rodney has the right idea. A boost gauge is the first place to get some tangible data. I recommend the following piece: Autometer ProComp gauge #5401. It's a liquid filled gauge so the needle won't bounce around every time you go over a bump.

To install, put a T fitting on the air pressure line leading into the fuel pressure regulator. The regulator on your car should be mounted to the firewall, behind your intake manifold and fuel rail.
Run the air line through your firewall and connect to gauge.

That it! As an alternative, you can also ask a friendly Audi dealer to hook your car up to a VAG machine and read out how many degrees of ignition timing the ECU is retarding. This may also give you some clues.

Best Regards,
Greg Woo
NEUSPEED