A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wett chip owners w/ 1 year plus or lots of miles experience - please respond

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-1999, 02:27 PM
PK

Default Wett chip owners w/ 1 year plus or lots of miles experience - please respond

To owners of Wett chips (.8 or 1.0) that have had the chip for a lot of miles and/or a long time; I would like your help.<br>Have you had any concerns about longevity of the turbo/engine etc.? Had any problems that you think the chip caused? I'm especially concerned that the turbo might be at its limit in terms of boost and heat generation.<p>Thanks from a prospective chip buyer.
Old 04-27-1999, 03:27 PM
DaveL

Default Wett 1 Bar since 5/17/98 for 16k miles...

I've had zero problems and I'm not concerned about longevity of the engine.<br>Based on what I've read and experienced in turbo cars with a boost gauge, the turbo is only running at full boost at full open throttle (FOT). Under "normal" driving i.e., accelerating moderately and shifting at around 2500-3000 rpm, you are not hitting full boost. The car drives very much like stock when driven in this manner. The power really comes on past 3000 rpm at FOT. So, if you are on the highway in 5th at 60-70 mph the engine is spinning around 3k or so. When you need to pass, you hit FOT and whoosh you get full boost and you pass, but once you let off the throttle and level off at your desired higher speed, the boost is back down.<p>The point that I'm making is that unless you are the type to drag race and do redline runs in every gear at every red light, or you do some HEAVY DUTY track and autox events, then you should have very little to worry about.<p>I'm NOT saying that this extra boost has NO negative effect whatsoever. The engine may need to be overhauled at say 180,000 mile instead of 185,000 which IMO is a minor effect.<p>Others may and probably will disagree but that's my opinion. <br>You have to accept some degree of risk when you add a chip and I've accepted the risk.<p>BTW...at 35k miles my car drives like it's brand new! Luv this car!<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS wett, eibach/koni
Old 04-27-1999, 04:16 PM
John Ireland

Default How will you feel if the engine nees...

an overhaul at 85,000 miles? Or other problems arise in the engine bay due to increased heat? Why do you think Audi chose the set up they gave you? Do you think they are a bunch of old ladies who don't want you to have fun, or do you think they were trying to design an entire package that would give you a margin of error so you could enjoy driving the car with enthusiasum and reliability? Why do you think they offered a higher horsepower engine as an option? Why do you think they did more than just change the chip when they created the 180 hp version for the TT and 2000 model A4? If in doubt, scan up the formum and look for the guy whose car is making funny noises. When chip makers begin putting their money where their mouthes are, I'll buy one. Good luck.
Old 04-27-1999, 04:25 PM
Terry D

Default One year, 25K miles so far........

including track events. I suffered from the "waste gate rod" problem, covered under warranty, but so did a couple of my friends who are stock and only drive on the street!!!!<p>Overall, very satisfied. Only problems:<br>1. lousy gas in Phoenix (emmissions) so I use octane booster in hot (over 90 degree) weather to keep performance up and at the track;<p>2. power & response with the Wett chip have caused permanent smile lines on my face;<p>3. I go looking for 944 turbo's, 911's, etc. on the track -- boy, do they get pissed when I pass them!!!
Old 04-27-1999, 04:36 PM
Alan T.

Default Re: How will you feel if the engine nees...

Oh hell , give the guy a break. He's just trying to enjoy life and have a little fun with his chipped A4.. Why does that bother you so much? What do you care if he needs an engine overhaul sooner than you do? You sound like you'd have to pay for it personally. Your message was such a bummer and I feel this board is for more uplifting posts from one car enthusiast to another.
Old 04-27-1999, 04:51 PM
SKSmith

<br>I'm looking forward to rebuilding my engine, should be fun! Should be able to find another 50 hp. It's a sports car not a mini-van.
Old 04-27-1999, 05:00 PM
Stan

<br><<Why do you think Audi chose the set up they gave you? Do you think they <br>are a bunch of old ladies who don't want you to have fun....>><p>Maybe they want to keep the stock 1.8T tame in order to help $$$$ V6 sales?<p><<Why do you think they offered a higher horsepower engine as <br>an option? >><p>Because they are trying to make money. Other than smoothness, NVH, the 1.8T could be way better than the V6.<p><<Why do you think they did more than just change the chip when <br>they created the 180 hp version for the TT and 2000 model A4?>><p>I have heard it's basically the same motor and that it is the same plus a SLIGHTLY different turbo.<p><< If in doubt, scan up the formum and look for the guy whose car is making funny <br>noises.>><p>Could this be the moan that there is a service bulletin fix for? A simple hose rerouting fix.<p><br><< When chip makers begin putting their money where their mouthes are, I'll buy one. Good luck. >><p>As they say, Speed costs money...how fast do you wnat to go?<p>Stan<p>
Old 04-27-1999, 05:10 PM
Mike O.

46,000 on my 98.5 with a 1.0 Wett and Stebro - this car cranks
Old 04-27-1999, 05:29 PM
jon

before you talk about pre-mature engine re-builds, how many cases have you heard of which involved a chipped 1.8T with a blown engine?? Let me say this; I have a K24 turbo on my car, I average 18psi-20psi of boost DAILY on pump gas, so I'LL likely be one the first ones on this board to blow up my engine.. Then, I'll look forward to re-building my engine with uprgraded internals.. I drive the hell out of the car, I use it on the track and although I only have 24000km on this setup, there aren't any signs of "excessive wear".. BTW, are you familiar with the 4G63 Mitsubishi engine? Go look at some DSM websites and tell them they're ALL crazy because they easily squeeze well over 300hp on their stock engines!!
Old 04-27-1999, 05:49 PM
BDW

<p>The 1.8T is detuned for this market for marketing reasons, not engineering ones. If they offered the 180 HP 1.8T for $27K, how many of the higher profit margin 2.8s (32K, 190HP) do you think they are going to sell? If the 2000 1.8T is offered with 180HP (I'll believe it when I see it), I think Audi will have to bump the price substantially in order to make up lost profits on 2.8s that are going to be damn hard sell. Right now, there's a clear performance difference if you don't want to chip your 1.8T, and I believe Audi will be smart enough to retain that.<p>The low pressure turbo is a much more flexible, albeit not as smooth, powerplant. The V6 is a sweet engine, but would you pay 5 or 6 grand more for 10 more horsepower and a little more smoothness? If Audi didn't engineer the 1.8T to handle 180-200 HP, why does it sell chip upgrades in some parts of Europe as dealer-sanctioned options?<p>I feel quite confident a 1.8T can easily handle anyone's Stage 1 chip (200 HP or fewer). I will chip mine as soon as I can decide who's product to buy, and I will gladly accept any miniscule risks associated with it in exchange for my wide, torque-induced smile.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms

Quick Reply: Wett chip owners w/ 1 year plus or lots of miles experience - please respond