A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wett chip problem with stalling. HELP?! (little long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-1999, 10:13 AM
Ian W

Default Wett chip problem with stalling. HELP?! (little long)

I just installed a Wett 1 bar chip in my 98.5 1.8tqms. Sent ECU to Wett and they sent back with new socketed chip installed. Started it up the first time and let it idle. After about a minute, it stalled. Started right back up again, but about a minute later, it stalled again. This repeated about 10 times. Each time, started right back up, but would never run for more than a minute or two. Even if I tried driving it, it ran fine, but soon stalled. I removed the ECU, reseated the Wett chip, but this didn't help. I finally put the stock chip back in (Thanks to Wett's great socket technology!) Everything runs fine with the stock chip installed.<br>I called Wett and they want to ship me a older version of the "P" software chip. I am reluctant to do this. The latest version, I assume, has improvements that the older version does not have. Wett claims the version that I have has been working fine on everyone elses car. Why mine is different, they cannot say. <br>Frank Wetterauer will be in the US office this afternoon. They suggested I call back and talk to him directly about this.<br>I'll keep the Forum updated.<p>Ian
Old 01-28-1999, 11:21 AM
sdtagw

Default Re: Wett chip problem with stalling. HELP?! (little long)

Sounds like you started the engine right after you installed the ECU. Try just turn your key to on position for one minute, this will allow the ECU to "reboot" with the new chip, then start your engine. Hope this help.
Old 01-28-1999, 12:35 PM
Ian W

Default Thanks for the help, but already tried it...

The first time I started my car, I actually turned the key to the on position for about two minutes before I started the car.<p>Wett is send me a new chip to try. I'll know tomorrow if that fixes it or not.