A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

what to also do while servicing timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to also do while servicing timing belt

Hello,

I'm new to driving my 99.5 A4 1.8TQM - I'm going to be getting the timing belt serviced this month with the kit from blauparts. In addition to the TB kit, I also saw their Valve Cover Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Kit, of which I also plan to purchase and complete when the car is apart.

My question - is there anything else that is worthwhile doing while the car is disassembled? Should I purchase a head gasket & have them replace this also? Is there anything in particular other than the valve cover cam chain tensioner & tb kits that I should look at purchasing to ensure maximum reliablity?

Also, what about the turbo? Is this easily accessible and serviceable in addition to the timing belt? I was told by a previous mechanic that it's leaking oil - is this worth addressing now?

I'm looking to be as thorough as possible and am having trouble finding out which items I should include with this service.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you order the full Blau kit with water pump and thermostat? You should change those too (I have that kit being delivered this week). Head gasket can be ignored unless you have some reason to suspect it. You are also going to have the plugs out while doing the belt, might as well change those unless they are fairly fresh. Also the snub mount will be easy and cheap to change while in service position.

Take a good look at cooling hoses, motor mounts, and rubber ducting from air cleaner to the turbo, which sometimes develops cracks. Mechanical fan clutch would be easy to change at this time too, if it has quit working.

The turbo isn't much more serviceable while doing the timing belt, but an oil leak may be a hose or oil line connection issue rather than an actual turbo problem.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Consider changing the plastic water outlet on the back of the head, along with the coolant temp sensor.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the turbos will ALWAYS look like there leaking alittle oil, nothing to worry about. i would just do the timing belt water pump idlers seals and drive belt.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
the turbos will ALWAYS look like there leaking alittle oil, nothing to worry about. i would just do the timing belt water pump idlers seals and drive belt.

Did you mean to respond to me or the OP?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am ordering the full timing kit from blauparts with water pump and thermostat:
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21102-1A

Also, the valve cover cam chain tensioner gasket enhanced ultra kit
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21005-2A

- The Fan Clutch pulley & fan clutch were both replaced today along with the accessory belt.
- I'll snag a coolant temp sensor from ECS since it's $5.

A few questions though -
1) What part exactly is the 'plastic water outlet on the back of the head?'

2) When you say plugs, you mean the sparkplugs? Because those are also on my list to change. Haven't been replaced for at least 30k.

3) In regard to the snub mount - is there only one of them? And would the upgraded APR one from ECS tuning be worth purchasing? They state it "enhances upshifting and downshifting, reduces driveline shock, & helps power transfer by taking up excess drivetrain slack"

Thanks for the advice on the turbo. My main concern & goal is to address anything that might be potentially catastrophic. Like I said, this is my first turbo car & I want to be as proactive as possible. My C4 A6 seems like a tank comparatively to my newer B5 A4. I just had my brakes/rotors done & upgraded, along with a couple of other small things & I want to ensure that once this TB service is complete, I'll have maximum peace of mind against any future unexpected repairs.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

4Driver4 referred to the part on the very back of the cylinder head, which is plastic, and includes the coolant temp sensor socket.

Yes, I did mean spark plugs. Speaking of plugs, I put a set of the cheapest Autolites from AutoZone while doing some troubleshooting a while back; they seem to work just as well as the expensive OEM NGKs, at least at the low-boost driving we do with the wagon.

I just installed an OEM-type snub mount (there is only one) and don't know about the APR version. I mentioned the motor mounts because they do break sometimes. One in the wagon was almost cracked through, and this is a mildly-driven wife's car.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by crusininda944
Hello,

I'm new to driving my 99.5 A4 1.8TQM - I'm going to be getting the timing belt serviced this month with the kit from blauparts. In addition to the TB kit, I also saw their Valve Cover Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Kit, of which I also plan to purchase and complete when the car is apart.

My question - is there anything else that is worthwhile doing while the car is disassembled? Should I purchase a head gasket & have them replace this also? Is there anything in particular other than the valve cover cam chain tensioner & tb kits that I should look at purchasing to ensure maximum reliablity?

Also, what about the turbo? Is this easily accessible and serviceable in addition to the timing belt? I was told by a previous mechanic that it's leaking oil - is this worth addressing now?

I'm looking to be as thorough as possible and am having trouble finding out which items I should include with this service.

Thanks in advance!
What are you using for instructions? Some people do a snub mount too.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've also found an upgraded intake manifold gasket via ecs tuning - does anyone know how easy this would be to access as well?

figures look pretty decent for a $55 upgrade

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Gasket/ES1394/
Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Tech Guru

Meh. Not worth the effort. Save your money.