A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What is the concensus on Eibach/Audi sport springs w/ stock shocks?(more)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the concensus on Eibach/Audi sport springs w/ stock shocks?(more)

If I buy eibach springs and bilstein shocks seperatly what do I gain or lose in perfrmance as compared to a coilover setup? What is the advantage of coilovers? They seem alot more expensive. In short, What's the difference? How do you justify the higher cost of coilovers?
Old 03-01-2001, 05:14 AM

I dont want a harsh ride but I will track the car.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:00 AM

Default Eventually you will get new shocks...do it now if you can

The OEM sport shocks are not a bad match for the Audi/Eiback springs when the shocks are very new. I think the car floats a little too much in the rear, but nothing horrible and otherwise the match is OK.

But...the OEM shocks do soften up a good bit, pretty quickly. My rear shocks werent controlling the wheels well after 10k miles resulting in a lot of excess rebound over bumps and an accompanying thumpthumpthump. The fronts were still controlling the rebound OK and float wasnt a big issue but they too are starting to thumpthump over bumps.

A couple weekends ago I swapped in the Neuspeed/Bilsteins to the rear (along qith a 19mm swaybar). What a relief! Even with the OEN shocks still in the front, the ride quality has improved a lot. Yes they are firmer but there is a lot to be said for keeping the wheels in firm contact with the road. I will be installing the front shocks as soon as I get a chance.

Remember unless you do this yourself you will pay twice for the same work is you do the shocks at a different time than the springs.

I am not really qualified to comment on coilover as I dont have them. The Audi/Eiback setup will significantly improve the responsiveness of your car on the road. Quicker reaction to steering input, less lean, less body float on uneven surfaces, less dive under braking, less lift/squat on acceleration. With very high performance wheels and tires the improvement over sport is stunning and while the ride is certainly firmer it isnt uncomfortable unless you have to drive really crappy roads.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:48 AM

That sounds convincing. Now I'll shop for tires. Thanks