A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What exactly is a "sporadic" error code? ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 08:40 AM
BDW

Default What exactly is a "sporadic" error code? ....

Just got back from dealer for an airbag light that wouldn't go off and 10K service. They hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and said they could find no faults with the airbag system, just a sporadic code. So they just reset it and said "hopefully it won't come back on." Does this sound kosher to all you computer experts out there? I figured there must be a bad contact or something causing the light to stay on, but they can't find anything. So I'm stuck wondering, is this bag going to deploy correctly if I need it???

On the upside, an Audi dealer actually managed to change the oil (I supplied Mobil 1) without overfilling. I did mention the oil capacity TSB.

On an unrelated note, as I was poking around the showroom while waiting, looking at all the Benzs, Audis and VWs, I checked out a 2000 Santorin 2.8Qtip on the floor. Beautiful car, except absolutely covered in some of the worst swirl marks I have ever seen! Brand new car, looking positively terrible. Can't believe anyone would accept it in that condition. Looks like some ape put down about 300 pounds of pressure with a power buffer. Makes you really wonder what "other" things dealerships let slide if they are willing to put something like that right out on the showroom floor...

Thanks for any help on the question above ...

BDW
'99 1.8Tqms (Wett, K&N)
Old 01-13-2000, 11:17 AM
Brett- APR

Default Re: What is a "sporadic" error code?

A sporadic error code symbolizes that an error has appeared at least once but does not appear constantly. Usually, if a sporadic error does not occur for a specified length of time (or a specified number of driving cycles) after a sporadic error diagnostic trouble code has been stored, the DTC will be erased. Conversely, if the sporadic error is recognized frequently, an additional error code symbolizing a more serious malfunction may be stored. Usually this additional code will throw a dash warning.

If the sporadic error trouble code does not come reappear, then all is probably well. If it does, then there is probably something wrong in the system.

Brett
APR
Old 01-13-2000, 11:56 AM
BDW

Default Thanks a lot, Brett (nt)

nt