A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What info do dealers get on order status before the VIN arrives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-1999, 07:16 AM
Shane

Default What info do dealers get on order status before the VIN arrives?

Hi--<p>I ordered my car about six weeks ago.<br>I'm wondering what information the dealer should be expected to have about the status of my order. She had told me that about two months after the order a VIN number would be forwarded by Audi, presumably when the car was built, and then we could track the progress of the shipment to the US. But I've seen references to order status codes ("B"=be patient, and so forth) and I'm wondering if I should press her for more detail.<p>Thanks, folks--<br>Shane<br>Portland, ME<br>1.8t qms (on order)
Old 04-16-1999, 09:19 AM
Bob.1

Default What I know (long)...

I can't say my experience is typical but here's what I know: the dealer can access the order status anytime via their computer. The following info. is displayed:<p>Order Entry:<br>Prod Release:<br>Prod Complete:<br>Allocated:<br>Rail Car No.:<br>Ship Loaded:<br>Ship in Transit:<br>Port Arrived:<br>Carrier Release:<br>Truck/Rail Loaded:<br>Dealer Delivered:<p>At the top it shows "bill-to-dealer" and "ship-to-dealer" both followed by your dealer's number as well as the official current status (see FAQ's for the various status codes "D," "F" etc.), the specific options and colors you ordered and your last name as "customer." My dealer has faxed me a copy twice in the past 5 months when the order was released for production and the production was completed.<p>I placed my order on December 1, 1998 (Audi shows it was received at the factory on 12/23) and it just reached status "F" production released and factory inspected on 4/12/99. The dealer said it would probably take another 4 weeks to ship.<p>I'm kinda bummed it has taken so long. Others report about 3 to 4 months. I just read a post where someone reported their A4 being completed 2 days ahead of mine and yet he ordered it 2 months after me! On the other hand there is a new post that the reports that his order took 6.5 months.<p>I haven't figured out why there are these huge discrepencies between orders placed and delivery dates. My experience, however, is that the dealers will always paint the most optimistic delivery scenarios... don't count on it.<p>
Old 04-16-1999, 09:24 AM
Bob.1

Forgot to add: VIN comes at status &quot;F&quot; (prod. complete); however, they simply use an order # instead of a VIN prior to status &quot;F.&quot;
Old 04-16-1999, 11:44 AM
Shane

Default Re: What I know (long)...

Thanks, Bob. Whoever runs the FAQ should add your post to the little list of productions codes.<p>I ordered mine in early March, and they told me 3 1/2 months was normal. I'll try to find out the status this weekend. <br>In retrospect, I suppose I should have shopped around for a dealer with a similar car coming in in ~2 months and had them change the specs on that car... a friend of mine in Boston did this and got his A4 in about two months. Live and learn.<p>Good luck with your order; keep me posted. And thanks again.--Shane
Old 04-16-1999, 01:13 PM
Bernie

Thanks for the Post Bob1. I also ordered in early March and can't get any info out of my dealer.
Old 04-16-1999, 01:18 PM
Bernie

Did anyone waiting for their car give any thought to the extended warranty issue?
Old 04-16-1999, 01:18 PM
Bernie

Did anyone waiting for their car give any thought to the extended warranty issue?
Old 04-16-1999, 03:36 PM
Dave Y

Default Re: What info do dealers get on order status before the VIN arrives?

I was just chatting with Jim H at YBH about the status of my order. The generalities of the process were that the car shows up about 3.5 months after the order is placed. I did not have to place new order so I shortcutted some of the time. My car entered "D" status on 3/31. It is "In Production". Hopefully, I will have a VIN by the end of next week. The building takes about 7-10 days. It gets loaded on a train and moved to the German port. It is "on the water" for 5-6 days. It will sit in the Port of Wilmington for about 7-10 days before loaded on the truck. All of this added up means that I will hopefully see the car about 30 days after it is built.<p>I am dyin' waitin',<br>dy
Old 04-16-1999, 05:25 PM
Bob.1

The average I've seen is about 4 weeks between Status D and F (mine was 3/11 for &quot;D&quot; &amp; 4/12 for &quot;F&quot
Old 04-16-1999, 05:28 PM
Bob.1

Not yet. This topic comes up often and there always seems to be strong opinions for and against.