A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What is involved in taking off the Front door panel??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is involved in taking off the Front door panel??

I'd like to replace the front door speakers but I'm also having electric window problems on the passenger side. Can anyone out there give me a blow by blow on how to remove the door panels for a 98 A4? Thanks in advance..
Old 05-15-2002, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here...

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int13.shtml">Tech section</a></li></ul>
Old 05-15-2002, 10:08 AM

Default MY 01.5 - 1 screw to remove the insert to the door handle, pop/pull out insert. remove screws at the

top of the inside of the door. When the door is open, they're on the door panel next to the painted section. does that make sense? Also, take the screw out that is under the insert in the door handle. Then, slide the door panel up and off. Be careful as the harnesses for the speakers need to be unplugged before completely removing the panel.

Repeat in reverse to put back on. The only thing to be careful of is the door lock pin. Make sure it goes back in the hole at the top right of the panel.

It's not a hard job to do. My problem has always been getting that damn insert out, especially in the rear doors.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:10 AM

yeah, ok, that's not fair :-)
Old 05-15-2002, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Hehe, how are the new mods? Are you happy? ;-)
Old 05-15-2002, 11:34 AM

Default I can't get enough of the coilovers. I forget that I have the new exhaust. An Audi salesperson,

last night, mentioned both to me.

I almost never use my washer fluid. I clean my windshield by hand all the time because I fear what could be on the wiper blades that I also clean all the time. I already have one arch scratch from something being on the pass side blade. The Audi glass is too soft. If I can get them to replace it, I want PPG glass. If not, I'll wait for the inevitable chip from a stone on the PA Tp, NJ Tp, LIE or Southern State.

Anyway... so, that damn BEEP, BEEP alarm keeps going off because I was border-line on the sensor. So, it would go off, then on, then off and so on depending upon my levels of front vs rear or side-to-side, whatever makes the fluid level change. So, it was either use it on my clean car or top it off. So, I stopped by a dealer last night to have them top it off. Not a problem -- in and out in about 10 minutes. So, when I pull through the lot, I get some looks from people looking at cars and the salespeeps. I get out and head for the Service Dept.

salesguy: is your car a 1.8 or 2.8? (I'm de-badged with just the rings and Quattro.)

me: (I smile) 1.8

sales g: it sounds awesome when you pulled in. I couldn't help but not to look when I heard the exhaust.

me: it's an APR exhaust.

sales g: nice. is it lowered?

me: yes, H&amp;R coilovers.

sales g: very nicely done.

I noticed him watching me as I left the lot, so I pulled hard through 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him to hear it again. :-)

As far as being happy, well, I wouldn't mind the rear being a little stiffer. I wonder if anyone has a set of S4 coilovers for the rear laying around or from an accident up front. I think 395/450 spring rates would be better.

Do you have the H&amp;R c/o? If so, do you feel the rears make a lot of noise? Mine seem to be a little clunky from time to time.

/book
Old 05-15-2002, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have the Neuspeed sport springs and NeuBilsteins...

The rear felt soft for me but once I added the rear sway bar, everything felt more form. I think I can force the rear to break on turns unlike before.

Nice attention you got there!
Old 05-15-2002, 01:00 PM

Default well, a 100 mile rally certainly helped. The back end only broke away once, but I did it on purpose

by powering into the corner, taking the wrong line, and oversteering. I think I might pick up a 19mm Neuspeed rear anti-sway bar and see if I like it.