A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

what kind of transmission for 1998 ATQ motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of transmission for 1998 ATQ motor

i need to know if i can use any manual transmission for 1998 ATQ motor as long as its the same year.thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you sure that is the original engine in that car? ATQ is drive by wire 2000 and later. Your engine should be AHA.

Any A4 trans will bolt up.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No its not the original.it was replaced before I bought it.is that bad that I have an atq motor?thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by jbenz2001
No its not the original.it was replaced before I bought it.is that bad that I have an atq motor?thanks
No problem running the ATQ, but asking what trans goes with that car and engine is confusing. The answer is "none" since Audi never built that combination. What you really want to know is the trans type for a 1998 with a 30v V6.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just for the record, you may not have a real ATQ. I replaced an AHA with an ATQ. They are mechanically identical, but to do a total swap you need to replace the gas pedal mechanism to do the total drive by wire conversion. In my case it was easier/cheaper to put the AHA's intake, throttle body and other peripherals on the ATQ.

So now the motor is still stamped ATQ, but it's really a drive by cable AHA.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Just for the record, you may not have a real ATQ. I replaced an AHA with an ATQ. They are mechanically identical, but to do a total swap you need to replace the gas pedal mechanism to do the total drive by wire conversion. In my case it was easier/cheaper to put the AHA's intake, throttle body and other peripherals on the ATQ.

So now the motor is still stamped ATQ, but it's really a drive by cable AHA.
I disagree. It's still an ATQ. Once an ATQ, always an ATQ...you just have removed the features that make it an ATQ.

As you state: the only difference between ATQ and AHA is the throttle body.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I see it is drive by wire.my problem is I have the motor in the car but it wont start.they say my problem is that the atq motor takes 2 cam sensors,a crank sensor and an rpm sensor that goes on the transmission.im hoping if I just buy the transmission it will fix my problem.if not my other solution will be to purchase an original 12v motor with harness and ecu.I feel that would be more work then just trying to find the transmission and getting it started.does anybody know where I can find a 2000 engine harness diagram?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now I'm really confused. Sounds like the problem is your ATQ won't start, and you're trying to solve it with a new tranny?

Before you throw a tranny at that problem, you need to take some VAG-COM codes so you know what the issue is.

Second, the 98 didn't have a 12v motor. It had the AHA, which is mechanically the same. As stated before, when I swapped an ATQ into an AHA car, I left all the drive by wire stuff behind so I didn't have to worry about the harness and ECM and the DBW gas pedal. That's a pretty easy swap.

I think you need to know your problem before you throw more parts at it. And a 12v motor is going to make things more complicated: not easier.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by jbenz2001
From what I see it is drive by wire.my problem is I have the motor in the car but it wont start.they say my problem is that the atq motor takes 2 cam sensors,a crank sensor and an rpm sensor that goes on the transmission.im hoping if I just buy the transmission it will fix my problem.if not my other solution will be to purchase an original 12v motor with harness and ecu.I feel that would be more work then just trying to find the transmission and getting it started.does anybody know where I can find a 2000 engine harness diagram?
This is crazy. As several of us have stated: ATQ and AHA are basically the same exact engine. The only different is the throttle body. Period. Stop making this harder than it needs to be. If you swapped over the intake manifold, you are good. Diagnose the problem using VAG-COM or basic trouble shooting.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This a deal yes the car doesn't start.I used vag com and got a code for that the crank sensor isn't reading.my car is a 1996 and they swapped in a 30v atq motor but left the original 1996 transmission.I don't know what transmissions I can use for 1998 atq motor non quattro.from what I've heard the car will not start if it doesn't have a rpm sensor connected where the 1998 or newer transmission has the hole for it.the reason I made this thread was the mechanic that has my car says to make this swap work I need the transmission that goes for this motor or I can just swap in an original 12v back in with harness and ecu.
trust me guys im just as confused as you guys are about this situation

Quick Reply: what kind of transmission for 1998 ATQ motor