A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What are my options? This can't be good! Blown Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my options? This can't be good! Blown Valve?

Today I was innocently driving around town when all of a sudden my car started making funny noises and had no power. I popped the hood and one of the spark plugs had shot out of the engine and broke the engine cover... The car is a 2001 A4 1.8T w/GIAC software installed. Is this a regular occurnece for chipped cars? What are my options now? I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet, but i don't have a good feeling about this

Also, I recently had my timing belt/water pump service done, could this be at all related? I had it done by euro-tech in santa monica, ca... which as I'm told is a very good place to get your audi serviced... anyway...

I'm grateful for any information that you can provide.

Thanks,
G
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how long ago did you get the timing belt changed.. you said recent.. how recent?

it's possible the piston nailed the top of the head shooting the spark plug out. timing was out... tensioner could have failed.. number of things.. good possibility it's related. Could have also just been a loose spark plug and it got blown out... jose is a good guy.. he'll take care of you... i'm sure
Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Hmm, I've heard that Euro-Tech is the best from some people here too...

and I wouldn't know because I don't go to Euro-Tech. I choose to go to a guy who has quite a history with VW/Audi cars and racing. VW Specialties...Ron Wood. He is the guy that there has been many mentions over the years in European Car magazine as him being an "Audi Guru". I know a "devious" person on this forum doesn't like him, but he is the only person I know fo that feels that way. And Ron has been around longer than that guys has been walking! lol Try VW Specialties next time, great work and prices tend to be even better than Euro-Tech. I'm not downing Euro-Tech just yet though. I would need more evidence before I would down any inde.
J
Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default jose has numerous audi awards..

won the world audi tech championship thing.. i'm not sure exactly what it's called but last year he installed my rack and was showing me all this stuff.. does amazing work.. small backdoor shop.. does everything himself or with help from his son.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Default I've heard some good things about him..

but I wonder how his experience compares to Ron Wood. I'm just curious, not trying to knock either one of them and it may be comparing apples to oranges. Ron is not only an excellent mechanic, he is also a well known Audi racer. He raced Rim of the World Pro Rally. Races Audi in SCCA. He is really good with the VW's also, but you know that Audi's are merely an expensive VW anyway! LOL Don't you hate when people say that?!
J<ul><li><a href="http://www.europeancarweb.com/searchresults/?scope=T&amp;terms=Ron+Wood&amp;x=6&amp;y=5">linky </a></li></ul>
Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

b.s.. i sat in a passat all day .. i almost cried.. such a piece of ****.. i really don't like it
Old 02-12-2006, 12:16 AM

LOL..yes I agree not the same..however we can't ignore the factual similarities.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Crazy talk.

The only way for the piston to hit the head would be for the rod to break while the piston was on an upstroke. Even in that unlikely event, the piston would not have enough mass to pop the plug out.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default maybe the spark plug was loose?

does it go back in? It may have to be re threaded
Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts
Default The plug got loose and backed out.

common on the older 20vt (5 cylinder) engines. You probably have some thread damage and a broken coil pack. If the threads need repair, try a Time-sert, not a Heli-coil. On my urS, I check plug torque at each oil change.

Quick Reply: What are my options? This can't be good! Blown Valve?