A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What set of brake pads are the best for the a4? raybestos...mintex?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-1999, 06:23 PM
_rl

Default What set of brake pads are the best for the a4? raybestos...mintex?

i am currently looking to change the brake pads. 2 questions..<p>[1] which brand is the best...the least squeak and least brake dust.<p>[2] cheapest place to purchase them..<p>98.5 2.8Q [a!/lltek/axis/nitto]
Old 06-28-1999, 10:34 PM
stanj

Default Mintex squeal

Before everyone will post how great the Mintex pads are, I will make a preemptive strike and say that *mine* squeal like there is no tomorrow. I mean, they squeal in such a way that I am almost embarrassed to step on the brake because it's louder than the local VTA bus. From experience I know I am the only one with squealing Mintex pads in the NorCal club, but I make up for everyone.<p>The dust is much better than stock and also washes off easier. The stopping performance (really hot on the track) is great, didn't have any complaints.<p>Just need to fix the squeal...<p>- Stan<br>
Old 06-28-1999, 11:35 PM
_rl

Default where did you purchase the mintex pads?

[nt]
Old 06-29-1999, 05:24 AM
Rob MacK

Default Strange...

Hey Stan: did you try using anti-squeal compound? Mine have never squealed once (OK< maybe once when wet) but I've had them for about 10K miles w/ no problems. If you bought them from Camra, call Andrew and ask what he recommends.<p>Rob
Old 06-29-1999, 06:03 AM
DaveW

Default Met Andrew @ NE A4 event..(more)

Spoke to Andrew from Camra and discussed stock pads vs Mintex. He stressed that<br>its really important to bed the Mintex pads properly after installation (make sure<br>anti-squeal is applied!). The correct procedure is to do 10 consecutive 40-5 MPH <br>runs...not hard braking, but normal pedal pressure. If you didn't do this, maybe your<br>pads are glazed. Give Andrew a call, maybe he can suggest a fix.<p>http://camramotorsports.hypermart.net/<p>DaveW <br>98.5 2.8 QM - Soon to have Mintex
Old 06-29-1999, 07:02 AM
Warren Wang

Default Re: Mintex squeal

I have a set of Mintex C-Tech all the way around. One corner (front right) squeals like a stuck pig. I guess I need to pull the pads out and use anti-seize or anti-squeal on the back of the pads. Yeah, just as soon as I unlazify myself. It isn't exactly fun.<p>To deal with the squealing, I just turn my radio up an extra notch or two. Oh, and the harder I brake, the less squeal, so...<p>Warren
Old 06-29-1999, 07:54 AM
Tyrone

Raybestos....feel same as stock but NO squeal and No dust, not even on inside of wheel.
Old 06-29-1999, 08:26 AM
qt4lddht

Default After 1K w/Rofrens: NO noise, NO dust. OEM performance...

I paid less than $100 for the set of four from this guy (initials L. C.) in Philly. Linke enclosed.<ul><li><a href="http://www.brakepads.com/">L. C. Distributors, Inc.</a></li></ul>
Old 06-29-1999, 08:46 AM
Ray Calvo

Only have 2 days on mine; will let you know if I agree in a month or so. So far, feel fine
Old 06-29-1999, 08:49 AM
Rob MacK

Default He told me the same thing.

I told my mechanic that I personally would bed them in and to call me once the car came off the lift. I did exactly as Mintex recommended and guess what: no piggies in my wheels!

Quick Reply: What set of brake pads are the best for the a4? raybestos...mintex?