A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What are the symptoms of a bad clutch master cylinder? Mine may be going..only 53K!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2000, 05:33 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the symptoms of a bad clutch master cylinder? Mine may be going..only 53K!
Old 03-21-2000, 06:21 AM

Default The engagement point moves around...

even to the point where you cannot engage or disengage the clutch. Sometimes it will even blow fluid all over your foot. Audi has had some problem with these, your 53K is short, but not extremely so.
Old 03-21-2000, 06:34 AM
CP

Default Please read my symptoms and comment...

Clutch engagement point moves all over the place. Mostly from barely pushed in to about halfway down. Actually, it starts at about halfway, and if I'm in stop-and-go traffic, it works it's way up to the point that I only have to push in the clutch an inch or so. Over the past week or so, I've also begun feeling a vibration/rub when starting from a standstill. This occurs when the clutch is let out slowly, as in from a standstill. I thought it may have been the clutch cable rubbing something; feels like rubber-to-rubber. But from what you describe, it sounds like the master cylinder. What happens when this lets go? What does a new one cost? Will my clutch get fried if I leave it as is?
Thanks...very worried now that I'm off warranty,
Cy
Old 03-21-2000, 08:27 AM

Default Maybe...

it is likely not the clutch itself, sounds more like something in the hydralics. If it's the master (there have been some problems reported) then replacement is not a big deal. I havn't had to get a master for an A4, but it was about $75 for my 5KTQ. Add labor to that (maybe an hour worth). Your clutch could get fried if it doesn't engage fully at the top (this also has been reported), you will note slipping if this happens. If your clutch starts to slip treat it very gentle (no jack rabbit starts, no steep hills in high gear), just try to keep it from slipping. The problem also could be the slave cylinder, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is located inside the bell housing which would make it a bear to change (might want to just go ahead and change the clutch then also, because you've already paid all the labor for a new clutch). I think maybe you should get someone to look at it who is familiar with the make. The problem with a master is that it could fail completely, requiring a tow (I have driven cars with blown masters, but it is not for the faint of heart, you really have to know how to match speeds), and the cost of a new master is nothing next to the potential time and trouble of an unplanned tow.
Old 03-22-2000, 03:37 AM

Default I checked the CD...

and it's not like a Mazda, the slave is outside the housing.