A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What Tha Hell??!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Tha Hell??!!

Hello, very very new to the forum AND Audi.....Sorry for the long post, wanted to make sure I included as much info as possible.
Here we go..... I was cruising along in my newly acquired 2001 Audi A4 quattro 5speed with a little over 110k, not speeding or even spirited driving and I think I had just shifted into 4th(I think cause I was arguing with the wife), Anyway, I had just shifted into 4th gear, when I heard metal clanging(not sure but sounded as if something fell and was dragging on the street for about 6 feet) I then took my foot of the gas so I started slowing down and changed lanes as I heard the metallic clanging noise. I stopped the car and checked under the car(it was dark so didnt see anything) got back in the car engaged clutch and put it into 1st tried to take off wouldnt go!!!! Car starts fine engine sounds good, I get the message to press clutch to start(tried to start without pressing clutch wouldnt start)it goes into gear easily enough(maybe a tad bit easier then before the incident), had the wife put it into reverse and wouldnt move in reverse either but the reverse lights did come on. Any and all help is very welcomed..... Want to get an idea of what I am looking at..... the car lot said he would fix it, seeing how I picked the car up Monday night around 9:30pm and this happens wednesday evening!
I live about 45 miles from where I bought the car but I work 1.5 miles from home so the bulk of the mileage I have put on it was driving home from the car lot. Add an extra 15 miles of me maybe quick testing onto that and that is a good estimate of how much I have actually driven it.
Thanks to all in advance...
Old 11-26-2009, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

So you just bought the car? If so take that **** back and tell them to give you a refund maan.. Thats bull**** honestly for that to happen. Let's hope its not the transmission, I just got mine rebuilt and that was expensive.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

how newlely aquired is it? cause i would do the said as ^ said... but audi42 how much did it cost u just out of curiosity
Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sounds like one of your driveshafts came off.

There are 4 . If you lose one all drive is lost.Quattro will send 100 % of the power to the bad axle.

Usually the speedometer still works.

Maybe someone replaced a CV boot and didn't torque either the axle bolt or the where the drive-shaft exits the trans-axle or differential.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rcully
how newlely aquired is it? cause i would do the said as ^ said... but audi42 how much did it cost u just out of curiosity
While everyone quoted me at $ 3,500.00 - 6,000.00 with 12-month/12,000mile warranty, with little ZF rebuild experience. I found a nationwide shop called Cottman Transmission that have done too many ZF's and was BBB Accredited and 5-Sar reviews from all customers gave me a max price of $ 2,500.00 with new torque converter and he said that they take car of price if it jumps over $ 2,500.00.... A rebuilt is more reliable and stronger than the transmission out of the factory in 2001 cause of the updated parts. So $ 2,500.00 and he gave me double-standard warranty at 24month/24,000 miles.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Bolts fell out of one of the drive shafts.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
There are 4 . If you lose one all drive is lost.Quattro will send 100 % of the power to the bad axle.

Usually the speedometer still works.

Maybe someone replaced a CV boot and didn't torque either the axle bolt or the where the drive-shaft exits the trans-axle or differential.

Whoops. Saw your post after I posted mine. Concur. Not a big deal.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audi42LV8
While everyone quoted me at $ 3,500.00 - 6,000.00 with 12-month/12,000mile warranty, with little ZF rebuild experience. I found a nationwide shop called Cottman Transmission that have done too many ZF's and was BBB Accredited and 5-Sar reviews from all customers gave me a max price of $ 2,500.00 with new torque converter and he said that they take car of price if it jumps over $ 2,500.00.... A rebuilt is more reliable and stronger than the transmission out of the factory in 2001 cause of the updated parts. So $ 2,500.00 and he gave me double-standard warranty at 24month/24,000 miles.
that seems like a great deal.. expensive but worth it. hate to change the topic of the thread but how reliable u think the 01 trans are overall?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks Guys!!!!

You guys saved me hella money!!!! The mechanic just automatically said "it's the clutch" but after reading your posts I looked under the car and saw it hanging a bit then popped the hood and was able to see the axle unattached!!! I explained to him it wasnt my engine(it sounded way too strong), it wasnt my clutch it felt good and returned to its rightful place and the tranny was good and strong as well. I pointed out to him the axle unattached and showed him that the speedometer responded when I pressed on the gas...... He said "well we will check out the axle and make sure it is fine and that the bolts we have to get from the dealer"

I will be following up with him tomorrow, he has had my Audi since friday!!!!! I am ready to enjoy the quattro!!!
Thanks a million once again to all!!!
If there is anything else I should know at this point, please feel free to share.

OH!! I turned the AC on and shortly after the check engine came on...... I figure it is the coolant temp sensor. Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I will email you the address to send the check ;-]

4Driver4 and I will split it.

Originally Posted by 1staudi
You guys saved me hella money!
OH!! I turned the AC on and shortly after the check engine came on...... I figure it is the coolant temp sensor. Any thoughts?
You described the symptoms to a tee. Audi trivial pursuit.

Take a deep breath. Get the code read (preferably using a VAG.com) and report back.

Quick Reply: What Tha Hell??!!