A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What to try next for intermittent misfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to try next for intermittent misfire problem

I've been having a misfire come and go for a couple of weeks now and haven't found the source of the problem yet. Based on my searching here, I first tried swapping the ignition coil from cylinder #3 which has had the misfire based on the codes I get. I'm getting a P1300 code, something to do with the fuel supply and a P0303 cylinder #3 misfire. After swapping coils (and buying a new coil for #3) I still got the misfire in #3. I replaced the plug in #3, same thing. Then I went to the fuel injectors and swapped them around, still misfiring in #3. I did find a vacuum leak from a piece that had a hole and was sucking air, I replaced that but still misfiring in #3. My next move was going to be to replace the ignition control module, but I thought I'd post here first and see if anyone has any other ideas. I should mention that the misfire comes and goes, it isn't always misfiring. Sometimes I can drive for quite a while with it running fine and then it will suddenly start misfiring for a while, then go back to running fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, forgot to add that I have a 99 Audi A4 Quattro with the 1.8T motor!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Could be an electrical connection problem, possibly the ECU's connectors? Try spraying contact cleaner into the coil, injector, and ECU connectors.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had this prior and it ended up being the ICM. Hard to diagnose until it got worse with a check engine light and it still was difficult. there is a way to test the unit using a DMM and a battery with some wire I found in this forum that helped. i have replaced three ICM already on my car. Also, don't buy the cheap stuff and make sure it has heat sink grease or the life will end prematurely.

Since you already tested the Coils themselves and the misfires stayed, I would think to test the ICM. Check your sparkplugs as well.

Last edited by sparkster; 03-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkster
I have had this prior and it ended up being the ICM. Hard to diagnose until it got worse with a check engine light and it still was difficult. there is a way to test the unit using a DMM and a battery with some wire I found in this forum that helped. i have replaced three ICM already on my car. Also, don't buy the cheap stuff and make sure it has heat sink grease or the life will end prematurely.

Since you already tested the Coils themselves and the misfires stayed, I would think to test the ICM. Check your sparkplugs as well.
I'd replace all the plugs if they look worn at all. Cheap insurance to eliminate the potential cause.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ive had the samme problems but in cylinder one. I've changed coils, plugs, icu, and change the injectors location and still now luck. and i even change the valve cover gasket.

Originally Posted by BigDavve
I've been having a misfire come and go for a couple of weeks now and haven't found the source of the problem yet. Based on my searching here, I first tried swapping the ignition coil from cylinder #3 which has had the misfire based on the codes I get. I'm getting a P1300 code, something to do with the fuel supply and a P0303 cylinder #3 misfire. After swapping coils (and buying a new coil for #3) I still got the misfire in #3. I replaced the plug in #3, same thing. Then I went to the fuel injectors and swapped them around, still misfiring in #3. I did find a vacuum leak from a piece that had a hole and was sucking air, I replaced that but still misfiring in #3. My next move was going to be to replace the ignition control module, but I thought I'd post here first and see if anyone has any other ideas. I should mention that the misfire comes and goes, it isn't always misfiring. Sometimes I can drive for quite a while with it running fine and then it will suddenly start misfiring for a while, then go back to running fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ya, I guess the ICU will be my next try, unless anyone else has any other ideas.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

POS?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
POS?
wats pos
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Power Output Stage. Right on top of the air filter box.

Quick Reply: What to try next for intermittent misfire problem