A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What to use on black plastic/tires after washing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-1998, 08:14 PM
JT

Default What to use on black plastic/tires after washing?

A long time ago, I used to used Armor All until I heard a lot of bad things about them, including that the product actually DRIES out plastics and rubbers. I presently use Mother's Preserves. Besided Finish 2001, what other products are out there for shining up and protecting black plastic and rubber after washing the entire car? Again, how does everyone feel about Armor All? Thanks!<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 11-24-1998, 09:09 PM
Dmak

Default Re: What to use on black plastic/tires after washing?

I have tried black magic before and it works very well..<p>Dmak
Old 11-24-1998, 09:24 PM
tHe uNaBiMmEr

Black Again and Vinylex are very good.....
Old 11-25-1998, 03:50 AM
Jason Teller

Try to find Black Opal -- great stuff
Old 11-25-1998, 06:31 AM
MichaelB

Default After much experimentation, here's what I use...

I use Mothers Back-to-Black on the black trim (i.e. wiper blade arms, trim around windows, etc.) It is specially formulated for this very purpose and, like other Mothers products, works very well.<p>On the tires, I had used Vinylex, but it was simply way too expensive to use for that purpose. At $9/bottle, it was a bit ridiculous to use it on the tires. Therefore, I still use Vinylex on the interior. Great stuff. However, I switched to STP Son of a Gun for the tires. It is dirt cheap, and does a fine job. The key to keeping the tires looking good is to wash them with a general purpose cleaner when you wash the car. Use a separate brush on the tires however. When they are clean, it doesn't take as much protectant to make them look good, and you don't get that brownish residue.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mck.com/a4">Northeast A4 Group</a></li></ul>
Old 11-25-1998, 09:45 AM
Dave M

Default Re: What to use on black plastic/tires after washing?

I would never use Armor All!<p>I use Meguiar's #40 (I think that's the number) Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner. This is a great, one-shot product that works well at both cleaning and protecting the dash and interior trim, exterior vinyl, tires and door/trunk/hood seals. It leaves a soft, satin finish and is not greasy. Keeps the car smelling new, too. It tends to streak on hard vinyl surfaces (like the bottom of the bumpers), but it is absorbed into most other surfaces (rather than drying on them like Armor All). The streaking can be removed by going over the area again with a dry cloth.<p>Vinylex is also good, as are the other products mentioned here. Both Meguiar's #40 and the Vinylex are about $9 a bottle, but can be purchased by the gallon for about $25 (about $3.25 a bottle). Some of these products can be hard to find in local stores.
Old 11-25-1998, 11:43 AM
Mick

Default Q: Son-of-a-gun protectant

Doesn't this stuff contain silicone? From what I've read, Silicone causes premature drying and cracking of rubber/vinyl.<p>Mick<br>98 2.8qm
Old 11-25-1998, 12:37 PM
tHe uNaBimMeR

I use better stuff on my GEO than you do on your A4
Old 11-25-1998, 01:48 PM
MichaelB

Default Re: Q: Son-of-a-gun protectant (who cares)

As I stated, I use Vinylex on my interior. I only use the Son-of-a-Gun protectant on the tires. The tires will be worn and replaced with new ones FAR before the protectant could cause any of these things (cracking, etc.)<p>
Old 11-25-1998, 01:51 PM
MichaelB

Excellent...maybe Jason can put your GEO in the Gallery...

Quick Reply: What to use on black plastic/tires after washing?