A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark, stop being ignent!!!!!!!!!! passing people is wrong, and you are immature.

Old 11-28-2001, 01:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Yeah, yer right. And I should have bought that Honda Insight after all.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:21 PM

My brights are shining, and I'm creeping up on your bumper!
Old 11-28-2001, 01:31 PM

Default Sounds like Boulder to me...

You really should have thrashed him and sent him packing back to CA (I assume he was like most of the *******s I met in Boulder).
Old 11-28-2001, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I understand your attitude, but...

in this day and age it is dangerous. And to avoid confrontations is not to "live with my tail between my legs."

Do you have goals for your life? Do you have people in your life who care about you and depend on you? If so, then these things are your primary "mission," and if you are paralyzed or dead or in jail you cannot accomplish your mission. True courage and maturity means that a person does not sacrifice his or her key values and goals for immediate satisfaction, such as the cheap thrill of zipping around a slowpoke or kicking the car of a driver who has angered you.

You asked us what we would have done. And in my judgement you gave into primitive emotions on the road, where you can least afford them. Not a put down; I've done similar things. But it's not smart.

If you make the effort to actually read Rich's book, you'll find he's no sissy, as you imply. He's a seasoned combat veteran who explains clearly how macho, undisciplined, people get killed senselesly on both the battlefield and the road while their missions go down the drain. Not too impressive. Rich likens people with your attitude to recon soldiers who aren't disciplined enough to avoid trouble and conceal themselves or withdraw when threatened. They draw attention to themselves and get into battles when they should be trying to get back alive quietly with the info they've collected. They're liabilities to their units and frequently get the good soliders with them killed. Good recon soldiers aren't know for keeping their "tail between their legs," but they get their job done and don't let macho bull**** get in the way.

If you like driving aggressively, don't be a boy reacer on the public roads. Give yourself a REAL challenge and learn advanced driving techniques to compete against highly skilled competitors on the track, auto-x, etc. The public roads are not there for your amusement. And I hate to say it, but while you're obviously not one of the lunatics out there, you are part of the problem. At least think about it and check out the book.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

uh oh
Old 11-28-2001, 02:19 PM
Rest In Peace

Default See that's the thing - I'm usually a very courteous driver. If you came up behind me......

and I'm in the left lane - I'd just move over and let you pass. Come up behind me with your brights on, and I'll camp there all day.

Personally - if someone doens't move over for me in the left lane, I put on my left blinker to make sure they see me. Same thing if I'm coming in fast behind them, and they're not moving. That way they know I'm not going to just go around them on the right, and they'll hopefully move over.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:22 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I hear what you're saying......

and I used to have the same zeal for driving defensively when I first started driving that I now have for driving aggressively......but somehwere along the line it faded.

BTW - I've done several driving schools, and I Auto-X and track the car. In fact, I won my class in my widdow 1.8t, despite the chipped, modded S4s being in the same class. ;-) I'm a very qualified driver, and I'm not a street racer.

Only reason I jumped in front of the guy in this case is because there are very long lights, and thus, very wide open spaces on the greens. Traffic moves as a pack on this street, and I didn't want to get stuck behind anyone.

And it's not like *I* ever hold anyone up, so I wouldn't have been a PITA to the guy. There was no need for him to high beam me.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:29 PM

Default Dang Mexicans!

ROTFLMFAO! When I see a group political activists that camp outside the post office, and they want me to give them money/sign their petition, I tell them, "I'm sorry, but I don't speak English." (I got it from a classic Kids in the Hall skit) The looks on their faces are priceless.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default May I ask...

if you are able to say what changed your driving style from defensive to aggressive? Just curious. I can see that you are a very qualified driver, far more so than me, I'm sure. I'm also sure that you don't pull dangerous stunts or endanger other drivers.

The only place we disagree, I think, is how much well-intended drivers should go out of their way to avoid annoying and antagonizing other, perhaps more dangerous ones. I see your point. You want to enjoy the road and don't want to worry overly about how the next guy might interpret your actions. I'm more oriented to safety and willing to subordinate everything else to that. I think we can agree to disagree.

Seriously, if you're that into driving, you might want to check out Rich's book. Even though you might not agree with his perspective completely, I think you'd enjoy and benefit from much of the book. I sure did.

By the way: I appreciate your ability to debate differences without reverting to personal attacks, ranting and raving, etc. I wish that were more common around here...

Quick Reply: What would you have done?