A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Whata pisser offer! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 11:20 PM
Chard

Default Whata pisser offer! (kinda long)

I was driving home from school yesterday when I notice a white Buick LeSabre tailgating me. He was so close that I could barely see the hood, mostly his windshield in my rearview. I wasn't even driving slow...around 43 in a 40 zone with some traffic. I applied my brakes and slowed to around 35, which got him off me. I punched it and got back to my normal speed, so he punches it, tailgates me then passes me slowly. I did the immature thing and flipped him off. He was furious and flipped me off and by reading his lips, said some bad stuff. THEN, he swerves while he passes, as if he's gonna hit me. Yah right. I would have his *** in court and would be driving a new S4 if that happened. Some nerve. I know I was wrong, somewhat, too, but wow...what an a**hole.

Chard
99.5 1.8TQMS Silver
Old 01-20-2000, 04:20 AM
JR

Default Re: Whata pisser offer! (kinda long)

Simple advice... I work in law enforcement. I, like you, often feel the anger and frustration of dealing with the proliferation of jerks on our highways today. I suggest you keep one thing in mind the next time you flip someone off... way too many of these fine upstanding citizens are armed and will not hesitate to use their extended manhood to prove a point. Sadly, since the American criminal justice system is a joke (any defense attornies out there?!?!) bad guys get off pretty lightly for their particular deeds unless they kill someone. Next time someone pisses you off on the highway take a deep breath, let him go, turn up your stereo, and enjoy your A4. It ain't worth it, man.
Old 01-20-2000, 06:26 AM
Bryan

Default Re: Whata pisser offer! (kinda long)

Amen JR. I have figured out that all I am doing when I get hacked off at someone like that is torturing myself. Let it go and forget about it. Just enjoy your car.
Bryan
Old 01-20-2000, 06:37 AM
Sameer P

Default Easy solution to tailgaters

Turn on your rear foglight. Its bright, and gets them off your tail, as its now a light they have to stare at. I have been tailgated twice, once by the typical fat white guy in a 300M (nice car) and by a Acura that took offense to the fact that i flashed him to get out of the left lane on the expressway. The 300M was tailgating so badly, and i slowed down (my usual tactic to get them to pass) and he just stayed there. Very annoying problem, which the fog lamp solved immediately.

They get on your tail, you just turn that foglight on. Both times they got off my six pretty quickly. Be sure to turn it off afterward

Kinda makes me want to drive a truck when i think of things like this, id stick a floodlamp off the back if i had one, it would actually look good

Sameer 99.5 1.8T QMS
Old 01-20-2000, 06:55 AM
John

Default Too right! (nt)

nt
Old 01-20-2000, 07:02 AM
Brian M

Default Another Easy Solution...

Move over and let them pass. They don't get mad at you and do something stupid.
Old 01-20-2000, 09:10 PM
Peter

Default Well said !

I learned my lesson a few years ago. I was driving from Albany, NY to Saratoga with my girlfriend in the passenger seat. At the time I was driving an 84 Saab 900T with about 140k miles on it. NOT a fast car by any standards.

Some guy in a full-size pickup truck (I can make jokes about denizens of upstate NY in their pickup trucks, but I'll refrain) was tailgating me. So I slowed down, hoping he'd pass.
When he did, I gave him the finger.
Well THAT was a mistake!!

He passed me, but then he slowed down and started playing with me on the road. My GF was getting really scared that this guy would pull out a gun.
I couldn't out-accelerate this guy in my lowly Saab. And if I slowed down, he slowed down with me, just to "teach me a lesson."
Finally I got to my exit, and the A$$HOLE followed me off the highway!

Too afraid to drive home, I pulled into the State Troopers station right off the exit. The guy pulled up along side me and told me off.
I don't remember what I said to him, but I certainly didn't want to pick a fight.

Needless to say, that is the last time I ever gave somebody the finger on the road.
Now if somebody cuts me off or tailgates me, I just relax, take a deep breath, and hope that they have some mild car trouble to teach them a lesson -- but not anything harmful. Something like a flat tire, or a dead battery, or a key mark.
I wouldn't do it to them because I am not malicious. But I believe in God, and I believe that what goes around comes around.
That is my revenge. (Or at least I like to think so.)

Nowadays I am loving the rear fog light in my A4.
It works *most* of the time.

Peter
Old 01-21-2000, 04:04 AM
DRF

Default Another idea...

Expend about a dollar's worth of your winshield washer fluid. Keep spraying until they need their wipers. Only do this when your lights are off, so you don't waste it all over your headlights.

-Dave