A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What's the easiest way to get brighter headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-1999, 10:57 AM
Albert

Default What's the easiest way to get brighter headlamps?

Is it simply by changing the bulbs? What's this about replace the entire housing/lens with a "Euro-spec" unit? Sorry about the reset, but I just want to find the easiest way. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-01-1999, 11:25 AM
DwayneC

Default Re: What's the easiest way to get brighter headlamps?

Brigther isn't necessarily your biggest problem, the A4 has a terrible dispersion pattern. I would guess (in order):<p>1. Euro-headlights (better light dispersion)<br>2. Add headlight relays with dedicated wire runs to the headlights to get a higher voltage at the bulbs(if the A4 doesn't have it already - most VW/Audi's don't)<br>3. Higher output bulbs<p>Dwayne<br>94 S4
Old 01-01-1999, 11:28 AM
Albert

Default What if I just change the bulbs (maybe PIAA)? What would happen then?

thanks Dwayne.
Old 01-01-1999, 12:10 PM
Phil S

Default Re: They will burn out...

These plastic housings get to hot and heat from higher wattage bulbs burn themselfs out.
Old 01-01-1999, 03:19 PM
Joe C.

Not to mention the extra load on the electrical system which may cause other problems.
Old 01-01-1999, 04:11 PM
Albert

Default So the only solution is to go with what DwayneC said?

..<br>
Old 01-01-1999, 05:33 PM
GregW

Default Adjust the headlights

I was seriously unhappy with my A4's light output until I adjusted the headlights up a notch. Now I'm pleased - and I've not yet been brighted, and based on observing light patterns in other cars (wife's New Beetle, most notably - this beast has nice lights), I won't be. The factory setting is too low.<p>--Greg<p><br>
Old 01-01-1999, 06:22 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Agree entirely!

The headlite height adjustment is simple and free. If you need better lights beyond that, as others noted you should get the Euro lights (I beleive Bosch is preferred over Valeo, because then you keep your fog lites). Stay with the stock US headlight unit and you are stuck with the US beam patttern, which is the problem. I do not believe all this hype about these new "blue" bulbs putting out significantly more or better light on the same amperage rating bulb as standard halogen bulbs.<br>
Old 01-01-1999, 09:01 PM
Rudi

Default Just installed superwhite H7's in standard headlamps

I just installed PIAA superwhite H7 purchased from a company in Vancouver. They are definitely whiter but they don't seem a whole lot brighter to me. That said I haven't driven with them on a truely dark road yet -- just around the city. I may trying aiming the lamps a bit higher next. <p>I may put in a euro lamp assembly with higher wattage (relays and the whole bit) later on but not so early in my warrenty (only 1800 miles on the car!).
Old 01-02-1999, 01:11 AM
Albert

Default Euro-lights...

So now it seems that if adjusting the lights to shine higher doesn't cut it, then I would have to get the Euro light, relay, and bulb...Does anyone know how much all of this costs? The problem I have with this is that it doesn't make my car look or perform better. It's a safety thing, which Audi should be worried about...Oh well, nobody's perfect. I still love this car. Thanks to everyone who helped out. Happy New Year to you all.<p>Albert

Quick Reply: What's the easiest way to get brighter headlamps?