A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What's wrong with my mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my mirror?

Normally I do my own work, but I needed a diagnosis on my AC system and didn't have time to do it myself. When I picked the car up, I noticed that the rear view mirror had a light area in the middle. I asked the mechanic about it and he said it was from the heat and denied any wrongdoing. The mirror looks like it is definitely broken. The light spot looks like the mirror has liquid crystals in it and that there is a large air bubble... It also shows a double image both day and night mode at the same time. Is this something that might be fixed electrically? What do I do if the mechanic won't budge?
I've never had a problem with a mechanic before and appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Edit: almost forgot... Car is a 2000 tqm

Last edited by computrtutr; 08-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what you have is unfortunately a common Audi problem, I believe it is from the heat/Sun or Age, but basically the crystals from the Auto Dim explode and leak into the mirror, it will continue to get worse and worse. all you can do is replace the mirror. it is also very common for the exterior mirrors to do something similar, they get kind of cloudy around the edges and it gradually takes over the whole mirror, luckily they are easily replaced from Ebay for about $25
would highly doubt the mechanic had anything to do with it
Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jschick
what you have is unfortunately a common Audi problem, I believe it is from the heat/Sun or Age, but basically the crystals from the Auto Dim explode and leak into the mirror, it will continue to get worse and worse. all you can do is replace the mirror. it is also very common for the exterior mirrors to do something similar, they get kind of cloudy around the edges and it gradually takes over the whole mirror, luckily they are easily replaced from Ebay for about $25
would highly doubt the mechanic had anything to do with it
Came out to the car and the mirror was dripping liquid crystals- I guess it con't be fixed... oh well thanks for the help!