A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

wheel cleaner recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1998, 01:55 PM
Mondo

Default wheel cleaner recommendations?

What is the best wheel cleaner to spray on the wheels prior to washing?
Old 12-06-1998, 02:26 PM
Fly Boy

Default Re: wheel cleaner recommendations?

Thats an easy one P21s Gel or Liquid.
Old 12-06-1998, 02:45 PM
Christian J. Long

I use Simple Green...so far, it works good.
Old 12-06-1998, 02:53 PM
Dale B.

Default Re: I use Simple Green

I've used undiluted Simple Green to clean up the backsides of the wheels when I am changing to snows and vise versa, and it works well. But I've never needed any special cleaner for the fronts. Plain water works fine for me, or, rarely, car wash soap and water. The secret seems to be to keep the wheels waxed. I use the same wax I use on the car's paint (the wheels are painted and clearcoated) no more often than every 3 months or so and it seems to hold up fine. The brake dust doesn't stick. (I've used Meguiar's #26 yellow wax as well as Griot's Best of Show wax. I would guess others would word just as well).
Old 12-06-1998, 03:07 PM
Type SH

Default Avoid using those things

I would say you should avoid using those kinds of cleaner. They work great, but according to the Mercedes and Honda dealers, those wheel cleaners would actually eat away the protective layer from your nice looking wheels in the long run. You should just use a brush, a cloth, and just water to clean it. Wear a pair of gloves when you dig behind the wheels. If you simply wash your wheels every 2-3 weeks just using water, you shouldn't run into problems like permanent staining. Since I don't drive my car that much, I was fine even though I wash my rims every 4 weeks! Just wax your wheels every 6 months or so to add another layer of protection.<p>~Prelude SH
Old 12-06-1998, 04:02 PM
Jee

Ditto.
Old 12-06-1998, 04:32 PM
stevebrown

Default P21S...made in Germany...recommended by Porsche, MB, BMW, Audi, VW...

works like a champ...not too expensive, but use it sparingly & it still works great & won't hurt your wheels.<p>steve
Old 12-06-1998, 04:42 PM
JIM H.

Quicksilver I is STILL the only wheel cleaner I've ever used that REALLY took off the soot w/o TOUCHING the wheel;I haven't used anything on the market today that's better than Quicksilver II.nt
Old 12-06-1998, 06:01 PM
Gene E.

Default Use Meguiars car wash soap and a sponge with a handle..

I use the same thing for the wheels as I do for the car. I do the wheels first and use a bottle cleaner sponge (a sponge on a plastic handle) which works real well for getting into those tight spaces around the brakes.<p>Gene<br>98.5 2.8
Old 12-06-1998, 07:39 PM
Jake

Default Can you say soap?

Your wheels actually have a clear coat on them that is essentialy identical to that on your cars paint. So other than a cotton terry cloth and some water with car wash liquid I can't recommend anything else. I usually wax my wheels with the same stuff I use on my paint (Zymol Carbon). With this done I can almost just spray them clean with plain water. Hope this helps.<p>Jake 1.8Tqms

Quick Reply: wheel cleaner recommendations?