A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

while Im at it its oil change time, what filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a response....

Well, lets just agree to disagree, because there is not much we see eye to eye on. First, the internals to filters do fail, period. When they do, it clogs up oil squirters, cam oil passages, and tensioner feed passages. Not fun and not inexpensive. If oil starvation of cast bearings are involved your looking at replacing heads or blocks. Were getting into insurance territory. Deny all you want, but you should not postulate a security stance to a situation that is reality for some(and possibly others). Second, people under-think filters and maintenance to a very large degree. The people who are interested in mark specific maintenance and repair are very segmented
I'm sure there are a number of "weak mechanics out there", but there are also a number of scam companies who sell alot of below grade filters and representing them as a substitute for oem ,to which they are not. The rate in which the oil flows through the material does matter as well as the rate in which it filters the oil down to. In fact, with the advent of imported china knock-offs, its gotten much worse as far as quality control goes.
I don't think the size of filter matters as much as the quality of the internals. If you want more oil, then add a Mocal cooler into the system.
The Fram filters you rave about cavitate in 911 engines and the internals can't handle the flow rate. Absolute trash, period. I'm sure there fine on the farm tractor, but that's about how much I would trust them. One engine that was pulled apart due to a failed filter internal, Fram basically put their denial crew of Lawyers on the customer I knew. They are bottom feeders in my book. And you won't hear about these, because of legal disclosure clause. I'd like to see your point of view, but can't.
Regards
Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just show me the specs for the application and the specs for the filter used so I can compare them.

The filter company will say, "we built and tested to that spec". That is, any and all filter brands test to that same spec. Fram is no different. None, nada. ftr-we are talking about Audis, not 911s and if there were defective filter apps out there they would have been recalled off the shelves or 911s would be littering the American highways. You can believe all your voodoo scary stories about imploding filters, I ain't buying it. Like I said, run a fram 10k, cut it open and diagnose all the faults it has for us.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the fact that most filters bypass almost all the time??

As you know I am a fan of the screen filters where almost no bypass happens, I know you wont pay 170$ for a filter, but it gives nme a warm and fuzzy feeling when I think of filtering oil. I have 3 filters on my dry sump not counting the 'chunk' filters before the pumps. Anytime you get much debris on the filter paper, which by the way doesnt filter, it just acts as a medium for stuff to stick to, oil does not 'flow' thru this paper.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've yet to find any debris in a cut-open filter.Remember, particles smaller than oil film=zero wear

If I understand what you mean, a new vs used flow comparison, yes there would be a difference that is possibly measurable, but if the BPV is kicking open anyway, what's the diff?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Becuase in the expensive screen types there is almost no bypass evah!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All your particulates are now berong to us!!!

I wonder if leaving all the mechanical wear bits in solution adds to the metallic ion levels? Not that it would matter, but it could decieve the UOA interpretation.

Are you familliar with all the Terry Dyson/RI_RS4/Renewable Lubricants work on their RS4 Biosyn oil?

I'll add a link later.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I keppt up @ the beginning, but the ELF 10-40 is holding visc. fine. Im sold

Besides my fueling problems were never bad and were corrected within 1st 3 weeks of tune. The FSI stuff could have some real issues unless they can figure a way to seal the rings, may even take a new piston/ring combo. I would have pursued that before making my own oil, but he may be onto something. Anyway, not my concern, I was having problems w/oil pressure @ idle.