A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Who has sold (private sale) a car they were financing through AF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has sold (private sale) a car they were financing through AF?

I'm about to sell my car and want to make sure that I'm doing everything the right way. AF has the title, I have the car. I own part of the car, they own the rest. The guy wants to come pick up the car tomorrow (he's financing it through his bank) -- how do I do this so I get my money and he's protected and assured of receiving the title?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Call AF and tell them that you are selling. They will send you a "power of attorney" form that you

will need to fill out and get notorized. Then sign over the title and give it to the new guy. He will submit the title and the power of attorney form to the DMV to get the title transferred to his name. Once you pay AF the full owed amount, you are done.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:09 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The way I did it involved a bit of trust...

1. My bank required a pay off letter from AFS. They issued a check in the sellers name AND AFS (meaning both had to sign the check in order to cash it. Seller handed the check directly over to AFS, and AFS eventually sent him any balance owed to him. I took possession of the car immediately upon handing over the check. Seller allowed me to borrow the tags until AFS released the title (3 weeks). He FedEx'd the title to me once AFS released it.

I'm sure there is a better way (less trust and risk), but this method involved the least amount of paperwork.

OTOH, you may not be comfortable allowing anyone else to borrow the tags. I'm buying a Honda this week...seller won't give me the tags to get the car home. So now the ball is in his court...I'm holding on to his money, waiting for him to find a way to deliver the car to me.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:18 AM
pzm

Default Transfer your plates honda

I assuming that your in PA. why not just goto a notary and pay the fee to have the title and plates transfered. That the car is yours and you're able to take it.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:38 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Need new tags...

and I can't get those tags without producing a title, which I don't have. Title will be signed over when he gets the money, and he's not getting the money until I have the car in my possession.

I've offered to meet this guy at a title/tag agency in PA, however that doesn't help much, because he still has to travel 2 hours to get up here...and if we go with that plan, he's got to do it during normal business hours, so I can have the tag/title place do their thing.

When you throw everything into the wash, including his schedule and mine, driving the car to my house, handing over the car and title in exchange for the check turns out to be the best solution.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:01 AM
pzm

Default Re: Need new tags...

if you're in or around the lancaster/berks area i might be able to let you borrow a dealer or transport tag.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:45 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Not necessary, but thanks!