A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Why so Many A4's for Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-1999, 10:19 AM
Bonnie

Default Why so Many A4's for Sale?

I am a potential A4 buyer, and looked at the Classifieds, and am curious and/or bewildered as to why there are so many A4's for sale, both 1.8's and 2.8's, some with relatively very little milege and only a few months old. Most of them do not give reasons for selling, so this is a little disconcerting for a potential buyer. Unless someone lost their job or had to relocate and the car didn't have the specs for that particular country, I can see no reason to sell a car so new. Can anyone explain? It's giving me second thoughts about my purchase.
Old 01-22-1999, 10:25 AM
Andrew C.

Default Because this is A4.org? (more)

In the classifieds in San Francisco there are less than a handful of ads for A4s. This is where folks interested in A4s look so why not try and sell to a receptive audience?<p>That's my take. I think I'll keep my A4 until it drops.
Old 01-22-1999, 10:43 AM
Steve S.

Default Just looked at the San Jose Mercury Classifieds - NO A4s for sale

This is really the A4 capital of the US...they are humping like rabbits here. :-)<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<br>
Old 01-22-1999, 11:42 AM
Bonnie

Default A4's for Sale

I understand that alot of people looking for a used A4 might look here, but what I am really asking is why are there so many for sale that are relatively new. I agree that in my town of Princeton, NJ, there are no A4's for sale int he classifieds, but I am still puzzled why someone would give up such a great car after owning if for such a short time?
Old 01-22-1999, 12:21 PM
Doug G

Default Re: Why so FEW A4's for Sale?

Actually, considering the number of A4s that I see even here in the Detroit area, I'm always surprised by how few I see in the classifieds. Where do they all go? Trade-ins? Or are they distributed via some sales channel when their leases run out?<p> Doug G<br> 98.5 1.8TQM
Old 01-22-1999, 12:23 PM
Rob O

Default Maybe...

...with the attractive base price, especially of the 1.8T, you're seeing buyers who would have otherwise bought less expensive cars (Integra, Accord, Maxima, whatever) but stretched themselves to get one of THE BEST sports sedans on the market. $25k looks easy to swollow for someone already prepared to spend $22k-ish, but then with options the A4 price starts to climb and potential buyers find themselves further outside their budget than previously thought, but are so taken by the A4 that they can't turn back. After a few monthly payments, they realized they need something that takes a smaller dent out of their monthly income, and boom, they have to sell.<p>Or, you could be seeing a flood of 24 & 36 month lease terms coming to an end.<p>Rob O
Old 01-22-1999, 12:24 PM
PhilJ

Default Lease expiration?

If you're seeing mostly 96 and 97 A4s, maybe it's because the leases have expired, and they are upgrading to the 99 models?<p>-Phil
Old 01-22-1999, 12:25 PM
rp

Re: A4.org classifieds- people dont take them off after they sell (some ads date back to 1/98)NT
Old 01-22-1999, 12:47 PM
Bonnie

Default Rob....Very Good Analysis

NT<br>
Old 01-22-1999, 12:48 PM
Jim S

Default I changed my mind

I bought a 1.8T in november of 97 because it was what was available at the time. 3 months later, i decided i really wanted a 2.8, so i ordered one and traded the 1.8T. I know at least a few others who did the exact same thing, some from 2.8 to 1.8 though. Its a great car with extremely limited availability in some parts and that may account for some of it. Also, there are several postings from dealers in the listing. Along those lines, if someone just wanted to sell their car, what better place to do it than a site dedicated exclusively (well, it used to be) to that car. Go to a VW or any other enthusiast site and you'll see the same thing. They're just disproportionately represented here.<p>Jim S<br>98 2.8qms (not for sale at any price)<br>will accept even trade for 2000 S4 :-)

Quick Reply: Why so Many A4's for Sale?