A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Will the warranty cover this?..MY PAINT IS WARPED!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1998, 08:23 AM
CH

Default Will the warranty cover this?..MY PAINT IS WARPED!

<br>We finally got a break in the rain here in Seattle and I got a chance to wash my 1 week old A41.8TQ. To my horror I saw a spot on the hood (passenger side) about 6 inches in diameter. The spot had lots of tiny circles where the clear coat is gone! There is also a smaller area near one of the window sprayers, and there is also a little bit around the edge of the passenger side front-door. I looked the car over before driving it from University Audi but it was dark and rainy (surprise) and I didn't notice it. There is also a small spot on the edge of the hood where it looks like the paint dried unevenly. My question is, what might the dealer do about this? I don't expect a $27000 car to have such a poor paint quality, and I'm afraid re-painting it might not match exactly. Thanks for your advice. <p>CH
Old 11-30-1998, 08:45 AM
Ray Calvo

They should. However, sounds like only fix is a repaint
Old 11-30-1998, 09:41 AM
Jake Kitchener

Default Re: Will the warranty cover this?..MY PAINT IS WARPED!

They are probably just going to re-paint. However, You may want to see if they will replace the hood and bumper with new ones from the factory that are already painted. The chances of this aren't to hot, but you would get matched paint.<p>Just a thought,<br>Jake 99 1.8Tqms
Old 11-30-1998, 11:09 AM
DaveN

Your right on your first comment, they are just going to repaint it. The factory doesn't supply spares in anything but primer. With the computer controlled paint mixing a match is a real easy thing to get on a new car, so I wouldn't worry. Can't help but wonder though, Audi tends to be real good with the paint. Maybe someone later down the line did a poor job buffing a problem out?
Old 11-30-1998, 11:45 AM
CH

I think it might be the covering that come on new cars while being delivered. Perhaps the glue ate through the clear coat? Although that doesn't explain the uneven drying job on the edge of the hood. That is clearly a factory mistake, unless the hood was repainted sometime.
Old 11-30-1998, 03:42 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Most likely the new paint/moisture syndrone

This problem exists from the paint covering used during shipping. It is moisture related. You probably haven't seen a dry sunny day since you picked it up?<p>Take it to the dealer, they have instructions how to cure the problem with a heat gun or the a sunny dry day will straighten out the problem.<p>There is an Audi TSB for this.
Old 11-30-1998, 07:14 PM
JT

Default I have a similar problem, but not as bad.

Lemme guess, your car is the aluminum silver metallic? I picked up my car on 11/4 and a few days later, noticed a small cloudy mark to the right of the front grill, another around one of the windshield washer jets(like you!), and a few more subtle ones on the drivers "A" pillar(if I'm not mistaken what the "A" pillar is!). Anyway, I mentioned it to my dealer and he admitted it has been a bit of a problem. He said to bring it down there and they can use a heat gun to remove it. I plan on doing so, just haven't yet! I don't have any removal of clear coat, though! Please let me know how you make out! Keep in touch!<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 12-01-1998, 05:15 PM
eric

mine had the same stuff. took it back to barrier in bellevue and they had it fixed. it happened twice.