A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Window upper frame exterior trim bent or buckling! Has anyone had this problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-1999, 06:19 PM
Mary-sadness today!

Default Window upper frame exterior trim bent or buckling! Has anyone had this problem

Here in Boston, as you all must know, we had some snow, sleet and freezing rain. Today at last some sunshine, so we went to our friendly do-it-yourself car wash. While washing the car, we noticed that the top rim/frame of the window was bent up in two locations. I surmise that this is from water that got under the upper (trim- ?plastic) framing and then froze, hence the buckling? My car is only 6 weeks old, in its first winter! <br> <p>Needless to say, I spent the remainder of the day analyzing other cars window exterior frames....AND NO OTHER CAR (REGARDLESS OF AGE!) had this problem. Has anyone had this problem.<br>
Old 01-16-1999, 06:22 PM
Mary

Default I guess it is not that bad....I do still have my car! Didn't mean to be insensitive to one of our colleagues recent losses!

nt<br>
Old 01-16-1999, 08:28 PM
Dale B

Default What trim do you mean?

Do you mean the actual window frame? On the outside, this is soft rubber. Inside, it it fairly hefty metal. Or do you mean the chrome (2.8 engine) or black (1.8) strip at the edge of the roof, the one that essentially forms the rain gutter?<p>Either way, this is one I've never seen here and I don't understand how it could happen, at least without seeing a picture or something. Could this be damage from someone trying to steal a part or break in, or maybe somebody closed the window with something obstructing it?
Old 01-16-1999, 08:47 PM
JohnS

Default I had the same problem...

My passenger side rear door window frame was leaking water so the dealer pulled the door apart to find the cause, and the lower part of the frame was twisted - like someone had forced it when they built the car. The dealer had to order 3 more window frames to find one that fit. I was without my audi for 2 weeks.<p>The window is fine now.<p>JohnS<br>
Old 01-17-1999, 05:26 AM
Mary

Default It is the trim on the front windshield upper portion....I think it is rubber. 2.8QTS 98.5 AVANT

This would not be were someone would break in, as it is not a passanger window, it is the front windshield and someone would have to break the window while on top of the hood.<p>I am hopeful that the dealer will address this, because it can only be a defect of possibly being poorly sealed. Any more thoughts<p>Thank you for any suggestions<p>Mary Avant Santorin 2.8TQS 98.5
Old 01-17-1999, 10:10 AM
Dale B

Default OK, that's different

I was assuming that you were talking about the passenger door glass, and it wasn't making much sense that way.<p>The trim you are talking about is just a thin strip of rubber that presses over the top edge of the glass. I'm pretty sure that it has to be put on before the glass is installed. Therefore, unfortunately, the glass might have to come out to replace the trim strip. I've noticed that the A6 doesn't even use this piece - there's nothing over the top edge of the glass.<p>It sounds like something might have gotten under there, or maybe somehow a section of it came partially loose. If you don't want to take it to your Audi dealer, try a glass shop. They might be able to fix it up quickly, or at least tell you what the problem is.
Old 01-17-1999, 10:59 AM
Mary

Default Shouldn't Audi take care of this?

This is a 37K car! Okay, I got it for 32.2, but regardless, it is expensive and quite new. I would hate to put money in it, when this is a defect (evidence, is no one else is having this problem.)
Old 01-17-1999, 02:01 PM
Dale B

Default Yes.

Warranty should almost definitely take care of it. The exception would be if it was caused by some sort of physical damage (like a rock or whatever). In that case, your insurance might cover it, except that your deductable might be higher that the repair cost.<p>The side strips around the windshield (left and right rubber pieces next to A-pillars) just pull out, I think. It sounds like you are referring to the top piece of trim (thin piece of black plastic). I'm guessing that the sealant that holds the glass in place also is at least partially holding this trim strip. It might be possible to pull it off, but then getting it back on would be difficult or impossible without pulling the windshield out. Just a guess on that. A glass shop might fix it for free for you if it is simple. If it isn't, then it's off to Audi for warranty work. (My Audi dealer sends cars out to a glass shop for glass work anyway).<p>Good Luck,<p>Dale
Old 01-17-1999, 03:23 PM
Mary

Default thank you

thank you.
Old 01-17-1999, 07:25 PM
bash

I just noticed the same this morning on my '99 A4. Will show it to dealer at first service.

Quick Reply: Window upper frame exterior trim bent or buckling! Has anyone had this problem