A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Wipers and wet weather performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-1999, 07:57 AM
CB

Default Wipers and wet weather performance

Had my first chance to test the A4's wipers out last night and I've got to say the high speed setting is pathetic, only fractionally faster than the normal, continuous mode. Has anybody else noticed this? Also, the blades are very effective but make a lot of noise (squishing sounds).<p>Any thoughts would help.<p>CB<br>99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 07-22-1999, 08:19 AM
david

Default Wipers and wet weather performance, (rubber needs to be wet)

wipers, like any other part on a car, are a dynamic piece of machinery. any dynamic piece of machinery that is not used enough will not preform as well as it should.<br>wipers are made out of rubber. how well do you think rubber holds up against constant bombardment from the sun? poorly.<br>I live in Seattle (winshield wiper capitol of America) and the preformance of wipers is always worsened after a long hot summer (3-4 weeks of 70+ weather with NO rain/ once every 16 years).<br>When you wash your car, wash and wipe the wipers down, removing any decay or pollutants. Put a winshield solvant (rainx, etc) on and the wipers should do fine.<p>
Old 07-22-1999, 08:41 AM
Chris B

Default If you haven't already, try Rain-X it's fantastic!!!

a
Old 07-22-1999, 08:51 AM
Ray Calvo

Default No, No, NO!!!!

I used Rain-X for awhile in rainy Pittsburgh area. on old Coupe Quattro On initial application, was great. However, over weeks, would start streaking the windshield, and wipers began chattering like crazy. Then trying to clean it off and reapply newe coating defied standard windsheild cleaners. Finally gave up on this junk.<p>I have not noted a problem w/high-speed wiper behavior; I think they're great. Whenever car is in for regular service, however, I tell them the blades are bad and they replace them.<p>I will say stock blades are awful in snow/ice; they ice up in no time and pull away from the glass. I use ANCO winter blades when the white stuff hits.
Old 07-22-1999, 09:01 AM
DaveN

Default I've had the same experience...

one other remark I would add is that the spec on the wiper adjustment is +-3 degrees (which is very tight for a wiper), and the dealer has a tool to measure it. So when you ask for the new blades also ask to have them adjust them. Made a world of difference for me.
Old 07-22-1999, 09:01 AM
CW

I 2nd Chris B's post. I've never had probs mentioned by Ray, &amp; this is the 3rd car I've used RainX on. Won't drive w/out it.
Old 07-22-1999, 09:09 AM
Andy Hedin

I concur with Ray on this....Works well for a while but then chatters worse than with a naked windshield
Old 07-22-1999, 09:15 AM
david

Default Rain-X and your weather

the effects of Rain-X on your RUBBER wipers depends on your weather:<p>Lots of rain (wipers lubed/not dried out)=good<br>Lots of sun (wipers dry out)=waste of money<br>Lots of sun (wipers CARED for)=well worth it<p>I currently live in Seattle and have spent time in many hot parts of the country & Mexico and have decided over time that if you want to be able to use them, WIPER CARE is VERY important.
Old 07-22-1999, 09:15 AM
Hans

I have 99.5 and never experienced problem. Very quite and thorough, before RainX type product and after (nt).
Old 07-22-1999, 09:16 AM
tjj

yes, yes, YES! I've had nothing but good experience.

Quick Reply: Wipers and wet weather performance