A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Woohoo!!! B-pillar rattle fixed!!! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woohoo!!! B-pillar rattle fixed!!! (kinda long)

Well... I armed myself with the friction tape per Ed's recommendation (btw thanks ED!), a full bottle of WD40, and the b-pillar fix faq. I was determined to fix the infamous b-pillar rattle while doing my weekly carwash.

First of all, I found the faq by Rob Fox very well written. I removed the plastic cover under the b-pillar (you have to open both front and back door to see and remove it) per instruction. I then removed both star fasteners under the plastic cover. (Remember they are star shaped, not hex) Then as the instruction indicated, remove the remaining two fasteners from the front and back side of the b-pillar (one is facing toward the front windows and the other the back) You have to push the rubber seal aside to access them. The b-pillar cover will come free. After removing the cover, check where the b-pillar cover meets the roof. On my car I saw small scratches on the rubber/plastic trim created by the two pieces rubbing together.

I now found the source of the problem. Originally I planned to apply the friction tape between the metal b-pillar cover and the rubber/plastic trim. But I decided to follow the faq. I started by screw in (do not tighten) one of the two star fastners on the bottom part of the metal cover so it will stay in place. Then I move on to fasten the two fasteners on the side. The key to this part is to apply light downward pressure while you fasten them in. Also don't tighten them until both fasteners are in place.

After tighten the both sides, you should see a bigger gap (1/16") between the b-pillar and the roof. Continue and remount both fasteners on the bottom, then slide the plastic cover back on.

I did this on both b-pillar and man! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I intentionally search for pothole and so far I have yet to hear a peep from both b-pillar!

Thank you ROB!! Whoever you are!

Oh yeah, one more thing, I wash my car every Saturday morning at FlagShip carwash in Rockville, MD. I met Omid today (nice to meet you!) and if anyone else is interested we can make this a weekly event.

Kenny<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext22.shtml">B-rattle fix</a></li></ul>
Old 03-03-2001, 11:08 PM

cool,,,maybe you could fix my dash rattle
Old 03-04-2001, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Arghh!! my dash still creaks...

short of taking my dash apart I don't know how I could take care of it...
Old 03-04-2001, 07:22 AM

I've got a glove comp. area squeak and it's really getting to me!