A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Worthwhile Navigation System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 06:57 AM
Thomas

Default Worthwhile Navigation System?

I'll be ordering an A4 in a couple of weeks and was wondering what the navigation system was. I've heard two things. (1) It's embedded in the trip computer where the navigation is text only with directions given to you by voice. (2) It replaces the head unit and incorporates the stereo and has a color screen. Anyone have one or a picture of one? What's the story? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2000, 07:02 AM
Cris

Default #2 - no

I don't think there is any plan for Audi to bring the LCD display over to the US. Bummer!

Cris
Old 01-14-2000, 08:18 AM
Thomas

Default Re: #2 - no

So then is the nav system in the trip computer... I wonder how that would work. Is it voice activated? Thanks, -Thomas
Old 01-14-2000, 09:09 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Yes, it is in the trip computer....

1) Search the archive for <b>navigation system</b> or <b>nac system</b> and start reading. A bunch of folks have posted their impressions and details of the system.

And no, it is not in any way driven by your voice although it does provide a voice feedback to give you directions in addition to visual queues in the trip computer display.

HTH,

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms
Old 01-14-2000, 09:16 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Oops, that should be "nav"...not "nac" [nt]

NT
Old 01-14-2000, 09:18 AM
Jeremyr

Default Re: Worthwhile Navigation System?

I got the Nav system in my 2000 2.8 QMS.

Before I answer is it worth it..

The things I like:
Relatively non intrusive (I used Alpine's full screen nav system once, it was big, had to glance to your right to see the map screen) in the trip screen (get arrows and distances)
Directions are usually accurate, if you miss your destination it gets you back on track quickly.
You can also store destinations for later use.
The interface is fairly easy use. You dial-in letters and menu items (1 dial and 4 buttons total)
The traffic jam feature is cool too.

Things that are a bummer:
There are a lot of built in destinations for places like restaurants, airports, etc. Locations that I was expecting to be in there (auto stores, some coffee places, movie theaters (only has theatrical theaters)) are not there. The information is very regionally accurate, some regions have more info than others.

Is it worth it?
If you got the extra cash it is a fun toy to have. Overall I like it and don't regret spending the money (verses putting something in aftermarket)

The Nav CD is provided by Blaupunkt. Accordingly, the instrumentation is very much like their Travelpilot (which has a few more features than the Audi one). Check out the 'Germany Demo' on their site to see how it all works via Java.

Be happy to give you manual photocopies or an in car demo if your in the Bay Area sometime. Most dealers are lacking a demo nav cd (the CDs for the region where the nav system is purchased is sent after the car is delivered).<ul><li><a href="http://www.blaupunkt.com/">http://www.blaupunkt.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-14-2000, 12:37 PM
Thomas

Default Re: Oops, that should be "nav"...not "nac" [nt]

Thanks. Do you know if there are any plans to bring the Nav Plus System to the US? It looks sweet.
Old 01-14-2000, 02:22 PM
ed

Default Check out Alpine, Philips, Magellan, Datus if you want an integrated system

I use garmin Street Pilot, a free standing unit and is priced way under those integrated system.
Old 01-15-2000, 10:46 AM
wes

Default Yes!

I got the nav system and my friend who just got an a4 without was trying to figure out how to get one into his car after he say it in action. It's easy to use and dead on. It even knows about things like where the departures area at the airport. Worth every penny.