A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Would like to trade: Jack/Rat Terrier mix for ATW engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Meh. I'd clean it out and run it. All the plastic will be in the pan. BTDT.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I 2nd it.........

I would bet that if you did a serious flush with Kero/diesel etc and drop the pan then continued to flush it out and down it would be fine.

The oil pump is probably getting clogged with bits of plastic hence it taking 5 minutes to clog and trigger the oil light.

Sure it's taken life off the engine... but run it till it blows! (It may last 100K miles or more)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default I think so, too. So does Joey. Current mechanic that's seen it disagrees...

And he's worked with audis a bit. since it runs and even sounds good, I tend to side with you and Joey... but I'm also not a mechanic, and the mechanic who's seen it is. I can't believe an engine that fires right up and drives can't be fixed though!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No. That REALLY sounds like it can be fixed. Maybe he's not comfortable pulling one apart?

If that's the case he should just say that....... drives me nuts how many mechanics I know that are great mechanics but fVck themselves by BS'ing and/or getting in over their heads.

I'm not saying he's doing that.... but it sounds to me like he doesn't want to deal with it for *some* reason. I would not hesitate for a second to at least drop the pan, flush it out VERY VERY well and see how things look. No way he can say "it can NOT be rebuilt" without looking at it a lot closer.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Default He's not saying it can't be rebuilt...

.... he's just saying it may not be worth the time and money in buying a new cam tensioner and oil pump when the engine could fail in 5k miles.

He's a friend of a friend, and he'd drop in a new engine for free, but he's also an all around mechanic. Joey, for instance, I really think that he could rebuild it..... and I'd rather pay Joey to do it than have to pay for a new engine.

On the other hand, I'd feel bad towing it out of this guy's shop.

It's a tough one.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

Default There are bits and pieces of plastic I can see inside the engine with the valve cover off...

... that are definitely not in the pan. =(
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I see your conflict here... tough one. Time an issue?

Pull the motor and drop it at Joe's so he can build it, then have your friend / mechanic instal?

Honestly if it's properly cleaned out and pulled apart (a light rebuild in other words) it will be as good as any motor.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Default The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just having it towed to Joey's...

... This car fires right up! How could it need a new engine? Is that even possible? I've known Joey for like 4 years now and I trust him.

I CAN however see little bits of plastic inside the engine with the valve cover off... but that must be able to be removed and/or flushed out.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Flush it out, plastic is not that big an issue... if you said metal I'd say otherwise.

Joey T is a great guy, have him work on it if you can. ;-)
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

Default There's no metal in the oil pan. I see a thin layer of black, but It comes off with my nail...

It's not like the nasty horrific sludge nightmare I've seen pics of.

Quick Reply: Would like to trade: Jack/Rat Terrier mix for ATW engine.